Search the forum,

Discuss Dream heat pumps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Watplumb

Hey,

just wondering has anybody fitted a dream heat pump to a central heating system. Are they any good?? Are they expensive to run??

Don't buy until you get tech specs and compare to other manufacturers. If you buy cheap, you get cheap. Life's kinda like that.

Just installed one today on a system with under floor heating good price but not mcs for any possible future RHI. Will report back in next few days.

I would be interested to hear how it goes. They are cheap and all I want is to get the domestic water heated - not full central heating.
but I read on a forum that an installation had a bundle of trouble with the compressor which is odd as I think they have a Toshiba compressor.
thanks
SMcM.

There's no COP stated on their web site. Looks like another Chinky one - which can be OK if you're selective. I'll have a look later when I get on my laptop, see if we can get you a good one for water only fella.

Oh here, don't worry about the RHI. It's never going to come good, the country is skint mate!! As for MCS, a complete waste of your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no COP stated on their web site. Looks like another Chinky one - which can be OK if you're selective. I'll have a look later when I get on my laptop, see if we can get you a good one for water only fella.

Oh here, don't worry about the RHI. It's never going to come good, the country is skint mate!! As for MCS, a complete waste of your money.

They quote output 5 KW and input 1.1Kw which infers a COP of 4.5 ?????? if you can trust them.
Thanks for your interest. S McM

Have not seen the Dream heat pump. As a general comment. I have a Daikin Altherma on heating and hot water (Heating has cast iron sectional rads) works very well. Halved my total energy bills from the old oil boiler.

Have not seen the Dream heat pump. As a general comment. I have a Daikin Altherma on heating and hot water (Heating has cast iron sectional rads) works very well. Halved my total energy bills from the old oil boiler.
The Subcooling & Superheat is better to be checked on these as they're knows to be slightly under gassed.

Yes I installed a bran new 15 Kw Dream Heat Pump in Sept 2012. It`s working brilliant my whole house has been so cosy, a 4 bed semi & attic conversion, with a 6 Mtr UHF conservatory and heated Koi Pond.
Well worth the capital outlay of ÂŁ1,500 plumbed into my flow & return, I have the system wired to operate via an optimizer/stat. I set that to maximise the COP factor so that the ASHP does not ice over, (it costs to melt ice) when this happens the COP factor is not very good, as on all ASHP`s. That is why I use my Dream as a Hybrid when the dew point is likely cause less efficient use. The Hybrid use has enabled me to only use 20% of the gas I used on many previous years, that's now 80% of my heat coming from a more eco source, AIR. The Leccy use has not risen by very much ( I don`t think all my LED lamps have saved that much) so my outlay payback should be on track in about 4 years. The ASHP is controlled by my optimisation / stat wired so that when it`s inhibited, the Gas boiler will take over if frosty. Although the ASHP output temp is set lower, that has proved to be acceptable as I have some oversized rads & UFH thermal store, when it`s colder the gas boiler (at a higher temp) overcomes the greater heat losses. The "shoulder" months are when the COP values really pay off at 3, 4, or nearly 5 times the input Kw, so even allowing for high leccy prices over gas there is quite a good saving. Some have Mitsubishi, Toshiba or ( mine ) a Sanyo with the more efficient defrost system of a 4 way valve instead of elements to melt the winter ice. As you can tell I have had a mainly electrical career for well over fifty years so I have a relay for all zone digistats to be "ON" via the heat source in use. Many of the quotes that I had were horrendous ÂŁ14 K to over ÂŁ20 K for a system that is little better (if at all ) for under ÂŁ2K as a pensioner I am well happy for such an efficient system. Hope you have found these comments helpful. No connection other than a satisfied customer/Pensioner.

hahaha as above

What do you mean. Ha Ha Ha. I could have done the same system with a Crystal Heat pump would that be an advert for Crystal ? No I was sharing how I have done a system that works well and how to do it efficiently for higher COP values. A good ASHP system can be installed on a low budget and worked for over a year in proving that we can save ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ No need to be so cynical !

You can look up the dream site. The specs. are all there I do not want to be accused of something that's not true. The COP`s are much the same as other brands. 4.8 @ 11 d C -- COP of 5.2 @ 19 d C

The ones that matter are the COP at 3.5°C and at -3.4°C / Output at 50°C unless you're going to tell people to upgrade all their radiators as well. - I couldn't find on the Dream website the full CoP and output charts for all the input and output temperatures - any reason why they aren't available? CoP should also take into account losses during the defrost cycle - That's the info that really matters. Also no details about whether that info would include the use of an in-line immersion. - Care to publish the full technical info please?

Hi Worcester,
The only tech data I have seen was in the installation manual that came with the dream, so don`t know exactly the COP/Temps you ask, all I know is that it`s worked well all this last year. I have taken into account about the defrost cycle (as I posted ) No inline immersion needed (see my other post). I use it Hybrid Full Stop no need for a de-ice & use it via optomiser (auto ) when COP`s are above (say 2.4 ) At below this the ASHP is inhibited and at below a set temp the optimizer brings on my `A`rated gas boiler as it then becomes more beneficial and over comes the extra heat losses from the cold ambient air, maybe 10 - 30 days in 365 depending on the winter weather. I did also over size some of the rads. temps no problem on any of my 5 zones (6 with Koi pond). Can`t think of why tech spec is not in full, would they not be similar to Mitsubishi, Toshiba or Sanyo as mine is using their compressor ? My 15 Kw does not seem to work less efficient to me (shoves out loads of heat) but set to 48 degs. output normally, I am well happy especially saving so much gas (80%) even allowing for COP`s when used (<2.4 ) the extra leccy used has not been any thing near my previous gas bills. All in, about ÂŁ500 saving per year, so hoping to recover my outlay in 4 years. P.S.1 for reasons already stated COP`s at below 3.5 or sub zero don`t matter to me as I do not wish it to freeze and make Ice, i.e. not cost saving, that's why I use it as a Hybrid. P.S.2. Similar to Hybrid vehicles when the battery is low another source is needed to charge, with heat pumps it`s only when COP`s are "frosty" we need another source in my case around 10% gas would be nice for my Hybrid ( bit more depending on climate).

Below zero, you don't (shouldn't) freeze and make ice, the lowest CoP's occur above freezing at about 3.5°

A genuine question was asked, so I gave a genuine reply. No advert, no intended hype, its working well. So I thought that would be OK to share, sorry if that came over upsetting to a few but I am innocent of the ad allegation, go and pay thousands more if you wish, I am satisfied and still saving.

A genuine question was asked, so I gave a genuine reply. No advert, no intended hype, its working well. So I thought that would be OK to share, sorry if that came over upsetting to a few but I am innocent of the ad allegation, go and pay thousands more if you wish, I am satisfied and still saving.
Save now as it will probably cost you when it starts needing parts
Enjoy ✌️

Just looking at the Dream air pump for a new build 5 bed house but know very little about it. House is well insulated. Will have 2 log burners. Want to have rads rather than ufh as want something responsive. Live in South West so not too many days with frost. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what else apart from the unit (they suggest a 22kw) we would need to buy. Would a plumber be able to fit it? I had a look at the fitting instructions and couldn't understand them at all. These instructions also said it was for indoors although the web site says indoors or outdoors.

I installed a 22 kw Dream heat pump in mid January this year. I bought the heat pump to use in the milder months as I already have an outdoor wood burner that can make the house a bit warm when mild outside.
I mounted the heat pump outside near the wood burner and connected up to the existing pipework and this was straight forward
I must say I’m impressed with the way it is performing in heating mode, especially since I haven’t oversized any radiators yet.
I do have a problem however. I noticed it had iced up on a couple of occasions and suspected that the defrost cycle was not working. I contacted the seller who’s customer service involves emailing the manufacturer in China and awaiting an answer. After a few days of this it was decided to try the heat pump in cooling mode. The result is that the water leaving the outlet cools quite quickly until the difference in temperature between water coming in and water going out is great enough to trigger an error code (PP06) and shuts the pump down. The manufacturer says there is not enough water flow. This makes sense, however I don’t understand why it needs more water flow in cooling mode than heating mode where it works perfectly well? My wood burner puts out probably twice the heat energy yet works flawlessly. There are two pumps, in-line, in my system so I consider the flow to be good.
So what now? I’m planning to temporarily plumb in a 200 litre tank next to the heat pump and try it in cooling mode again with the water circulating around the tank. If this cures the problem I may have to consider installing a buffer tank with large bore pipes direct to the heat pump.
I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Save now as it will probably cost you when it starts needing parts
Enjoy ✌️

Actually Dream have been very helpful when I contacted them after 18 months use I had a Capacitor fail they dispatched several parts the same day (free of charge) better service than you get from most bigger companies. Especially the low purchase price of ÂŁ1500 for 15 Kw to heat my whole house. I am still impressed with it`s performance and value for money, compared to all the other horrendous quotes I had in 2012.

Stokegoldng UFH would better suit HP. Rads may need oversizing. As you are well insulated, the 22 Kw may not be needed, mine is a bit oversized at 15 Kw. A plumber with calcs & knowledge should be able to install for a fixed price whether he may have the experience to get yours right first time, remains to be seen. Indoors ducting not advised, outdoors much preferred for essential air flow. Chinese instructions need re translating I agree ! but I was very impressed with a reply from China when inquired about wiring in an external digital control, they supplied details in colour within minuets.

Bobs dream "Iced over" This can/will happen with high humidity / dew point temp being met, also at these temps the COP will not be favourable, I inhibit my use with a digital optomiser, to avoid lower COP`s (light your log burner) mine swaps to gas.
PP06 error code, that's possibly frost protection not set correctly, another of my reasons for not running at those temps.
what settings are you at ? I keep heating output below 47 degs.
"2 pumps inline" are they in parallel ? Have you fitted a strainer & magna clean in line ? Good flow, Blocked, flushed ?
Regards Buffer tank, Cylinder, calcs. stats. needed.. Worcester need your expertise sir !

Sorry guys can't really help without knowing how it's all been plumbed in !!

Multiple heat sources, as always buffer tank, / low loss headers. Flow rate always a killer with Heat pumps - whats the minumum allowed l/min?

We ALWAYS install, in line 30µm (micron) strainers and flow gauges in heat pump systems.

Had a call out not so long ago to a 'self install' - retrofitted and not flushed, he was getting low flow rate failures every 24 nours becasue the filter was blocking up every 24 hours!! - without the filter he'd have completely b**g**d the hex (ps. is that ** allowed any more Croppie? :) )

However I would have though that the Dream should have some kind of autodefrost cycle .. (usually steals heat from the buffer or heating system)

Yes, the dream units use their own 4 way valve where the parameters can be adjusted or set as per default. The auto defrost cycle including duration time & temps are ingeniously configured to use its own "generated" heat (hot gas injection) to self defrost ice on the evaporator (does NOT steal from buffer or heating system) or as some do - NOT via an element which is not included in the COP rating.

The dream units use well proven Mitsubishi, Toshiba or (as in mine) a Sanyo compressor, the micro processor control is also a well developed design which I was easily able to relocate the remote unit inside my house next to my heating controls.

It looks the same as the grant unit to be honest. Does it have weather compensation and an inverter driven compressor? I would like to see the instruction manual but can't find it. What's the warranty?

Thanks for the reply E-man and all. My systen has two pumps inline, one near the heat pump and one mid system. I added the second pump when I installed the powerful outdoor wood burner and it has always worked really well, as does the heat pump in heating mode.
I flushed the system well as I wanted to add some expensive anti-freeze and I installed a strainer filter. After a few weeks running the heat pump the filter is clean.
I expect it to ice up in certain conditions and I expect the auto defrost to work too.
The auto defrost uses heat from the system, by going into cooling mode, to warm and thaw the coils but mine was not working. I was advised to manually put it into cooling mode and this is when the error code PP06 appears and the machine shuts down. PP06 = water outlet and inlet temp difference overlarge protection. You can actually see the outlet temp reduce rapidly until the code appears. The powers that be in China say the water flow is too low and the temp difference should only be around 7 degrees or so.
E-man, are you able to put yours into cooling mode manually to see what happens?
I'm waiting for some fittings and then I'm going to rig up a test buffer tank with unrestricted flow to see if the cooling mode works. If it does I would consider installing a buffer tank next to the heat pump with big bore (28mm) pipes.
Nostrum, one year warranty!
Cheers
bob

I fitted my own weather optomiser control wire directly into the provided link on main HP PCB.
You won`t find an inverter driven compressor at a dream price of ÂŁ1500 for a 15 Kw unit.
High spec & manual on their web site. Don`t want to be accused of spam, easy to find.
Normal 12 months warranty but I have been impressed with Dreams after sales service and they sent parts by same day carrier free of charge after my 12 months that speaks of good reputation to me. Better than I have had from big named brands.

My 15 Kw says on manual 111cm x 46cm x 68 high shipping weight 98 Kgs
requires water flow rate of 2.2 M3 per hour through 3/4" BSP.
It has a Sanyo rotary compressor COP of 4.3 @ 6 Degs C to water temp of 40 Degs C

this is one of the most interesting threads ive been reading. you all lost me about post 5 but im sticking with it.:thinking:

Why are you lost i ? It`s at least 80 year old technology (Refrigeration) brought upto date by transfering heat from outside air to my cosy indoors. The secret is keeping the efficiency up above 2.5 COP (Coeficient Of Performance) if you allow it work at lower values you won`t save much at all. By using as a hybrid if ambient temps go below say about 4 Degs it may Ice up from our high humidity jet stream weather. A Heat Pump will need defrosting this costs energy that won`t heat my house so I don`t let it make ice by swapping over to my A rated boiler which costs me about 10 % to 20 % depending how long I have a cold spell for. As that`s may be only 30 days in 365 that translates into a massive saving on my gas bill. Pong me with a bigger leccy bill YES and I will ping you the pay off a COP of 3,4 or 5 which pays off the fact that Leccy is more pricey than Gas. I can explain more ---- it`s getting late more Monday ? Are you still lost or catching up ?

Haha yes i understand the fridgy bit but catching up on the tech..bring on monday i say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dream heat pumps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock