Search the forum,

Discuss Drayton TRV4 problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi.

Having problems with these rad valves. The chrome type fitted to acova column radiators in a renovation project. Ex-plumber here but been out the game for 15 years.

Basically, they ‘work’ when heating starts from cold but then trv shuts off and never cuts back in. So for example - heating comes on at 6am (heating on for 2 hours and room stat set to 28*c to constantly call for heat) trv’s set to 3 or 4, radiators reach the trv temp after 20-50mins then they stuff off. After this, when the room temp drops after a further 30-90mins (e.g. 21* down to 18*) the valves never allow anymore heat into the radiators, even though the room is cool (confirmed via thermometer). Please don’t hold me to exact timings or temperatures but the trv’s definitely don’t kick back in. Only when they are manually turned up (4-max) does the radiator heat up, but then they shut off and never kick back in even though room needs more heat. They are effectively acting as manual valves not trv’s.

I have tried the special balancing key and although this restricts flow, once the valve shuts off it doesn’t kick in again. If I remove valve head the water flows constantly hot up flow pipe, through radiator and away down return pipe. Trv’s are fitted vertically.

I haven’t spoken to Drayton Technical yet as previous experience with ‘technical departments’ has rarely been truly helpful. Any help or ideas please?

Thanks

Sounds like the heads are faulty / sticking time to get a new trv head

Hi
Your saying they heat up for 50 mins, then after a further 90mins they don’t come back on?
Your heating is only on for 2 hours so they won’t heat up, until there is call for heating. Your trvs can’t call for heat.

Hi
Your saying they heat up for 50 mins, then after a further 90mins they don’t come back on?
Your heating is only on for 2 hours so they won’t heat up, until there is call for heating. Your trvs can’t call for heat.
Hi. That was a rough estimation. The programmer is on and room stat is calling for heat as well. Even when one of the heads is removed (radiator permanently on) the other rooms that need more heat, the trv’s don’t sense that they need to open to let more heat into room via the rads.

This is why I don't like TRV's they are not perfect setting on 3 or 4 is pretty low temp they rely on the air temp around them to activate at 3 or 4 the temp from the rad is probably enough to keep them shut. You have to experiment with which suits each room some like the lounge might need to be on full or near full whereas bedroom can be on lower

Reply to Drayton TRV4 problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi, My step daughter was ripped off by a cowboy builder so I’ve been helping her out and fittted her two radiator. I’ve no idea what is under some of the floors or in the walls but since flushing it all out and starting the combi up she’s been having problems with her heating. She reckons the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock