Search the forum,

Discuss Draining hot water tank and cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi when wanting to drain the hot water pipework on a tank and cylinder system. Do people tend to use the gate valve on the cold feed to the cylinder? Or not as this can be prone to stop in the off position when turned off, if they haven't been used for a while.

Depends what work your doing, if your doing a full drain down may as well drain it all down, of your just changing a washer etc then it's a bit drastic, see if the valve turns at all first & be prepared to change if necessary

try it gently, if its seized, its your choice whether to break it or close it, just be ready for it to spin when you want it to open :) Just depends when your next appointment is due as to how you want to proceed.

If you have got a set of bungs and the valve gets stuck closed, bung it and you have only got the volume of water in the pipe to worry about.
undue and change as needed.

If it doesn't turn by hand first try I strip the wheel off the valve and loosen the next nut, then work the head with a spanner back and forth gently. Not snapped one in ages doing this.

I tend to have a look at the quality of the gate valve. Convex, Prestex or peggler, no prob. But if it's a cheap one, you have to be gentle.
did a cylinder swap last week to a pressurised . Went to turn the gate valve off the complete spindle came out! Luckily it was going in the scrap.

Sometimes just as quick to drain cold tank aswell using taps while hose onto drain cock , that way theres no risk of jamming but if thinking of changing during works i suppose it depends on how old and what condition the gate valves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining hot water tank and cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock