Search the forum,

Discuss Draining conventional system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Andrew Robertson

Gas Engineer
Having to clean a system prior to fitting a new heat only boiler but the customer has fitted a new floor and not left access to the pump or zone-valve.

Is there a way of draining the system without manually latching the valve open?

Could I just run the old boiler with heating on and drain it at the same time?

Cheers

It'll be possible to send an electrical signal to the zone valve causing it to open independently of the boiler. How easy it will be will depend on how the system has been wired. You'll need to provide a lot more details or consult an electrician if your knowledge of electrical work is not up to scratch.

My advice, however, is not to do anything to the system until the owner has restored access to the pump and valve. Or, at least agreed in writing that he accepts that you are likely to need to gain access and any damage to his floor will need to be made good at his expense.

Having to clean a system prior to fitting a new heat only boiler but the customer has fitted a new floor and not left access to the pump or zone-valve.

Is there a way of draining the system without manually latching the valve open?

Could I just run the old boiler with heating on and drain it at the same time?

Cheers

TBF, you sound a bit like one of the others :)

Why would you even contemplate fitting a boiler where you have no access to valve or pump? Commissioning will be a nightmare

That's why I was asking if there was a way of opening it. Luckily I have access to the motorised valve (only to latch it open) but I prefer to change them/the pump when installing on a system that's as old as it is.

Last edited:

Reply to Draining conventional system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

During an install of new boiler ('old' boiler died after 11-12 years) the system was "drained" but I guess maybe 90% of water was left in the (rather large) underfloor pipe system. What is the best way to tell how much inhibitor should be added in this case? (also taking account that system was...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip coming from the black nylon plastic drain plug at the back of the boiler which is accessible from the underneath. It does not appear to be from the thread...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a Nest controller. I’m familiar with the old gravity and pumped hot water systems and the new direct systems but not with sealed systems. Recently...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock