Search the forum,

Discuss Drainage problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I am a new member and glad to be on board. I don't know anything about plumbing, but know how to a plunger. As a member I hope to some gain knowledge and advice.

My sink water drains into my washing machine. When I drain the washing machine it goes back into sink. This has been going on for two weeks. This is what I have already done to solve the issue:
Used a plunger.
Used baking soda and white vinegar.
Removed the U- bench from under the sink (there was no blockage)
Poured hot water down the sink drain.
Used a shop bought strong solution & poured down the sink (had toxic smell).
A few months ago the same thing happened and I used white vinegar and baking soda, which seemed to resolve the issue, but it did not work this time. I have not had any recent plumbing done and up until a few months there had never been any issues. I used the washing machine and had to remove the water as it came into the sink. I emptied 4 buckets full of water.
Can you please help?

So your domestic sink drains into your washing machine and you are
needing advice....go get a decent plumbing outfit , get a few quotes
relax choose the outfit you trust and get it fixed
centralheatking

I know you say it's a new problem but how is the washing machine hose routed? They usually come into a kitchen unit under the sink at low level then should rise up to a high point, higher than the spigot on the trap you are connecting it to. Like in the picture on this webpage How to use a dishwasher if drain is clogged

Now, that may or may not be a contributing factor in your problem here but make sure that is set up right first. Ignore if your washing machine goes into its own separate vertical standpipe.

You likely have a blockage in the waste pipe somewhere so you really should try to "snake" the pipe runs with a tool like this to break through any blockage and then follow up with some hot water and/or drain cleaner. 10ft Handheld Flexible Snake Sewer Pipe Drain Hair Clog Plunger Cleaning Tool - Walmart.com

This is usually DIY able so give it a go before you call in a plumber if you are happy to have a go yourself. If not, then follow CHK's advice above and call in a plumber.

It sounds like you to call out professional for this as they will know more than me. They will know exactly what the problem is, it's a strange one because I've never heard of an issue like this before. However, it's all on the same system so it makes sense!

Reply to Drainage problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the condensate pipe from the boiler, can I use a tee join and connect the washing machine pipe? The pipe leads outside and is saddled to the main waste pipe.
Replies
Views
My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean. I came to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I got the water tested in my flat which has high chlorine levels and I am going to get a under the sink filter chlorine remover fitted as I am sensitive to the chlorine levels. My question is that the filter will be fitted on the kitchen cold water pipe under the sink but the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, The kitchen sink in the property we are renting drains really slowly, and I was hoping to remedy or alleviate this with some educated advice. In addition to draining slowly, the sink also back fills when the washing machine pumps water out. I have had the initial undersink work...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed the waste? The washing machine is only a month old and was working fine this morning before re-positioned. I put an 1100mm hoorizontal run at around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock