Search the forum,

Discuss Drainage advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sailingdave

Hi - I moved into a new house recently (quite old - built in 1915). There is one bathroom and the waste from the kitchen sink, bathroom basin and bath drain into a gully outside the kitchen. The toilet waste goes into a vented waste pipe which also has dishwasher waste attached.

The set up looks like this:

IMG_1896.jpg

The central pipe takes both guttering and bathroom waste. The left pipe is kitchen sink waste (inc washing machine) and the bottom right pipe is another gutter. The vented pipe is behind it.

I noticed there was a bit of a smell outside when the toilet is flushed. When I removed the cap to the gully, I noticed that when the toilet is flushed, water flows into the gully from a small slit on the right:

IMG_1898.jpg

Sorry the picture isn't great - I had to flush the toilet and then run downstairs before the water finished draining to get the picture. Hopefully you can see there is water seeping through this small slit - presumably from the waste stack. My first question is, should this be happening? The small slit where the water is coming through seems like it's part of the set up, i.e. not a crack that's appeared. I know very little about outside drains so I'm not entirely sure what's normal.

If this set up is correct, what might be causing an odour?

Many thanks for any advice / suggestions offered.

looks to be a botch job when put in originally and made worse over time. You will probably find the soil pipe is split somewhere and running into the ground and drain so would be best to get it investigated. Water can remove a lot of soil over time causing a bit or worse a large sink hole, doesnt do your foundations much good either

Agree with Lame, you really need a drains guy out to sort this problem. The soil probably meets up with the grid after the trap i.e. a combined drain, the trap is there to stop smells but the soil is likely broken underground and causing the issues Lame mentions above.

Looks to me like the new plastic stack has been connected to the old soil at floor level,
Most likely the old soil pipe has cracked, id get a plumber round to
Replace to stack from ground level down and fit a new with a back inlet gully that will take the rain water and neaten up the gully a bit

Yes as above. Get it all dug up and redone properly.

definitely going to need digging outlooks like its been raised to meet the ground level at some time

Thank you for the advice - will get it looked at.

If you post your location in the [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] section of this forum I'm sure someone would be happy to come round and provide a quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drainage advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock