Search the forum,

Discuss Drain Valve Change Without System Drain? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Have one radiator still not working despite whole lot new now and was the only one tepid before all changed and don't really know if drain valve necessary anyway as another drain option outside from another radiator too.

Actual valve on turning weeps water and so was wondering whether considering the pipe feeding it is hot whether it would be possible to change and replace with a new drain valve possible without draining whole system a possibility or just getting rid of drain off valve and plumbing it normally into radiator?

Reasonable amount of sludge in upstairs rads when I flushed all out to decorate despite being new so guessing magnaclean not doing much either from Worcester Oil boiler but maybe Powerflush and Balance a good idea too but rest seem to be working OK
apart from the one main issue so any help and advice much appreciate re changing the Drain Valve without hopefully draining the whole system down please?

Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
Depends on what system have, combi, open vent, system boiler? Each having different methods. Where exactly is it leaking from?

It's a Worcester Bosch Greenstar External Oil Boiler Condensing Boiler using Balanced Flue system that does Rads&Hot Water Cylinder so Open Vent.

Leaking from the top of the Open/Close spindle to radiator rather than Open/Close Drain Valve.

Thanks for the help

Have you tried to tighten the gland nut of the spindle? If no success, then you could always try and create a vacuum - if your not comfortable doing this then it would need a drain down.

Have you tried to tighten the gland nut of the spindle? If no success, then you could always try and create a vacuum - if your not comfortable doing this then it would need a drain down.
Will try that thanks.Re the radiator not heating either when the pipe feeding it is hot to this spindle could that be the reason then?

Can you freeze it? Shut the other rad valve, whip off the rad and freeze the pipe just a little distance away from the valve
Would that be possible on the thin pipe feeding the Rad through the drain valve so I could swap the whole drain valve for a working one?At least I'd know it was opening then and maybe get the rad hot too if poss?
Bit worried re freezing it with system full obviously but is that OK?
Thanks v.much for your help

Reply to Drain Valve Change Without System Drain? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock