Search the forum,

Discuss drain valve and pipe shrouds in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sinead

Can pipe shrouds be fitted around a drain valve? We just had some new radiators installed and unfortunately the shrouds I got weren't long enough for the install in the hallway so I ordered some more. The plumber has fitted it and installed a drain valve halfway on the copper piping and now says we can't add any shroud...this is a fully exposed so will be really out of place compared to all the other fittings...is there any way around this?

1. No, they can't be fitted around a drain valve.
2. One way I can think of to get round this is:
2a. Remove the radiator valve and replace by one with a built in drain off. Or do without a drain off at that point. You might be able to fit one elsewhere.
2b. Remove the pipe and refit with a straight length. You can't just join to the old pipe because any connector will be wider than the pipe.
2c. Fit the shroud.
3. Another less elegant possibility:
3a. Remove drain valve / replace elsewhere as 2a. above.
3b. Use a short piece of pipe from radiator valve to existing pipe, with a soldered connector fitted in between.
3d. Bend up two rings from a bit of pipe (same wall thickness) and bend round pipe just below radiator and just above floor. Depending on the type of shroud (must be split type) you should be able to slip it on, and the two bands and connector should keep it straight.
4. Expect to pay the plumber for the extra work.

Reply to drain valve and pipe shrouds in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock