Search the forum,

Discuss Drain Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself. I do general property maintenance such as tiling, plumbing, kitchens, bathrooms, decorating etc. I am also in the process of building some houses which are almost complete and have a problem with the best way to carry out the necessary drain tests for Building Control.

Following their advice this is simply done by blocking the soil pipe at the manhole and also any open vent. Then slowly pour water into say an upstairs toilet pan and the level should not drop as an air tight seal has been created. This worked in one of the houses as the stack has a durgo. The other houses have internal boxed in stacks terminating through the roof. While I can bung the manhole I cannot easily get to the top of the stack to cap that, as it is set back and the roof is made of slate which I can't clamber about on. Also the loft space is too tight to access the pipe and block it internally. I thought of capping off the waste to the downstairs sink in the kitchen and then filling the whole stack with water up to first floor toilet level to see if it held. The problem is that there is a 21-22mm condensate pipe from the combi boiler in the kitchen connected to the downstairs waste. If I fill up I presume this will overflow. How do I block off this pipe.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

if you fill an upstairs loo up to ensure the stack is full, i expect nay guarentee that youll be mopping up in the downstairs loo!!!!!!!!

if you want to test a new underground drain, block at the anhole and fill via basin/sink until ground floor wc level rises and then stop and onitor the level, this what your buildings inspector will want to see. if its the outside soil stack your testing, then youll need a drain test kit to air pressurise the stack involved and you lwill need to seal the stack top and bottom. have fun oh you shouldnt have to worry about the combi trap as the air pressure test shouldnt dislodge the water seal in the combi

Thanks for your replies

The downstairs loo is on a separate stub stack to the manhole so no need to worry about as tested that and it's fine Already filled up the main stack to ground floor level i.e. kitchen basin and that holds water, but building inspector wants the whole stack tested to upstairs level so I need to be able to make sure the upstairs loo holds a raised level of water. Building inspector actually advised against using drain test kit as he had seen so many test failures due to faulty kits. That's why he is happy with a visual check of the level in the pan over a period of time. As mentioned it is going to be a right pain to get to the top of the stack. Other than the overflow pipe to the boiler I can cap off all lower level outlets. Is there a cap available that can be glued in place on the overflow pipe if I cut it low down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drain Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, looking for some soil pipe/stack help please. I bought my first house end December and unfortunately had a toilet pipe blockage within a month. Place is old but was renovated in 2014 so thought it would be in decent nick! Plumber came out to rod it end January from the access hatch...
Replies
Views
I would appreciate some advice. I have a flat on the 3rd floor of a converted house, which has a lightwell in the middle of the flat. The bottom of the lightwell reaches the 3rd floor (my flat’s floor level) and has a roof lantern for the flat on the 2nd floor. I plan to build a small bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi all I am a first time poster, and would be very grateful please for advice. We purchased and moved into a property two weeks ago. I am experiencing a worsening sewage smell which was originally isolated to an ensuite in the main bedroom and the extension, but now appears to be moving...
Replies
Views
Hi I moved house about 9 months ago. Around 3 months after moving in I started to notice an intermittent sewage smell in the bathroom upstairs. For the last few months I have been checking all traps and trying to pinpoint the smell. There is no issue with the traps, I believe the smell is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, DIYer here, hoping to get some peace of mind or to fire myself up to do a bit of work if required. I've got a new build property with 3 toilets (i know, i've really made it in life). Main bathroom is what i would suggest as "traditional" with it draining straight out to an external...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock