Search the forum,

Discuss Drain Easy Bungs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry15

Hi Lads.
I am going to install a heated towel rail in the bathroom in place of the radiator and the pipes need to be altered,
I have watched the british gas plumbers use the plastic bungs in the header tank so they can repair leaks on the valves before ,I am thinking of doing this to alter the pipes for the towel rail, I have noticed that both the valves on the radiator have drain plugs fitted to them but other radiators in the house only have one fitted in places,is there a reason that the bathroom radiator has 2. Will the bung method still work on this radiator. My header tank and boiler are both located in the loft of the house.Will be greatful for any help.:)

To bung the system get some proper tank bungs from a plumbers merchant or BES plumbing supplies and put one in the cold feed from the F+E tank and a 22mm bung in the open vent (turn boiler off first!).

Go in the bathroom, turn both rad vales off and remove the radiator, then open a valve into a tub untill it pulls a vacuum and stops running (normally about a beaker full +/-).

You can then work on that open end and that open end only, if you open the other valve you will break the vacuum and have a flood.

Me? I would just drain down to alter pipe work, I only bung to change rad valves.

I use bungs whenever I can, sometimes you still get a dribble of water and it can be tough to solder but mostly they work great and save a load of time.

i would drain
picture this system open bung in place
then oh dear bung moves thats a shed load of kleenex to use

I don't know what bungs you're using newbie1 but mine have never and will never just come loose.

They are the expanding kind that you push into the outlet and do up the wingnut to lock it in place.:)

Thanks for the reply Phil, will take your advice and drain system to bathroom level, thanks again for all replies

I've been using the tapered rubber bungs for years and have never had one come loose, remember that once you've established a vacuum the bungs are being pulled tighter into the pipework. Why anyone would prefer to drain down is a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drain Easy Bungs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two separate TRVs I have tried, which happen to be... Basic programmable Bluetooth one that uses a motorised push-pin. Old basic TRV with settings 0-5. On...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I've got a woodburning stove with a back boiler that I cant quite figure out. Last year it was heating the water but not the radiators, and this year its heating the radiators and not the water. Does anybody have any ideas? Its a fairly old installation, I'm guessing from the 80s ish...
Replies
Views
As part of a rebuild (added 1st floor to bungalow and extended back) we have removed every piece of plumbing and electrics, during COVID In preparation for the complicated stuff, during the build we have ... Gledhill unvented tank (preplumbed) placed in 1st floor airing cupboard New...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock