Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs underfloor heating is dead due to electrical problem in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can advice me on my heating problem - I seem to have lost all downstairs UFH, but the upstairs heating and hot water are fine.

About our system:
We have a gas boiler feeding an 5 zone UFH system downstairs, some radiators upstairs and the hot water cylinder. This is all controlled by an EPH timer which controls the water and a single heating zone (i.e. all the heating). The timer seems to be wired back to two different wiring centres - one (EPH model) seems to handle the upstairs heating and the hot water, and a second one (mystery manufacturer) which seems to cover the downstairs UFH. Into this wiring centre seems to be the cable to the timer, all the downstairs thermostat connections, connections to the actuators on the UFH manifold, and the UFH pump and valve.

What happened:
Today I went to replace a thermostat in a downstairs zone and I noticed that once I did this, it seemed to kill the power to all the downstairs thermostats (the little lights went off). The thermostat I was installing is a basic EPH CM2 model that had perviously been installed upstairs before I replaced it with an electronic 7 day timer model (which has worked perfectly for a few years now).

What have I tried/measured:
I immediately disconnected the new thermostat and checked the EPH timer which seems fine. It still seems to control the hot water and upstairs heating. I took it off the wall and checked the voltages on the back plate L & N are fine. I even briefly directly connected the L to terminal 4 'CH ON' - no difference (light on thermostat still dead).

Returning the timer into position, and ensuring it was set to 'heating on', I measured across the L & N on 2 of the downstairs thermostats - both are dead (previously it was 230v).

Possible conclusion:
I can't help but think that something has somehow blown in the second wiring centre. It's a mystery model - the only thing that looks like a model number is 'SAM 8.1/1' and some of the text looks to be German. It's more than a basic set of connector blocks, with 2 relays, some capacitors, a small traffo, a push-in-twisty knob (potentiometer?) in addition to all the connectors; but it has nothing that looks like a fuse.

If I knew who made it I could get try to some data on it and try to understand more about what it's doing. I'll try to post some pictures of this mystery wiring centre

So I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise, or even any tips on how to get more info on the wiring centre. Finally, is it a safe assumption that the EPH timer is not the problem given that the upstairs heating is ok, running from the timer's single heating zone?

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpeg
    IMG_0541.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0535.jpeg
    IMG_0535.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 9
Looking at the pics, have you checked in the black cylindrical holder with a flat screw driver slot. There’s likely a fuse in there. Could be blown.

Edit: looking closer, I’m sure it says fuse on the cover.

967DE5FC-DDEE-4B3B-940D-A728353836A6.png

Thank you so much - i actually just found this myself just now and came to post about it - it needs a push and turn and the fuse pops out. Testing continuity on it shows that it is indeed blown. I've never seen these small 20mm fuses before but I'm hoping the local hardware shop stocks them in the morning. My old man eyes prevent me from seeing the engraving on the terminals, but it seems like it's 15A (surely not!) - I assume a 3A replacement is in order.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Also - good spot on the word "fuse" - now there's me looking dumb!

Read more: Downstairs underfloor heating is dead due to electrical problem - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/downstairs-underfloor-heating-is-dead-due-to-electrical-problem.566241/#ixzz6oTTQy1JE

Reply to Downstairs underfloor heating is dead due to electrical problem in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only mechanical timer on it. I saw some videos on Internet that mechanical timer can be replaced with electrical one but i am not sure if it is compatible with...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
We have UFH throughout downstairs. I have had one coil replaced. I have had the thermostats checked that they are linking to the correct actuators, which they are. the cupboard where the UFH system is gets hot when I turn up the thermostats in one or all zones. The boiler is coming on but the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock