Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs rads taking ages to heat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there I’m brand new to this forum and really need some help.
my downstairs radiators can take an age to heat up. Sometimes they just don’t heat up at all. Other times they do heat up and all is good. Until I turn the heating down at night and the issues begins again the next morning. A heating engineer has suggested a power flush. Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Hi thanks for the reply.
move got the water tank type. Not a combi boiler. Sorry that’s as much as I know about the type of system. I do have a 3 way motorised zonal valve. The pump is definitely running.
What is confusing me is that then downstairs rads do warm up just never as hot as the up stairs ones and it’s a lottery as and when they heat up. As if this moment i have turned the heating off. Opened all rads to fully open. Then turned the heating on. Within minutes the upstair rads are proper hot. Nothing downstairs though

Could be the system needs balancing and would be my first approach.
Ive tried that many times unless I’m doing it wrong. I’ve opened the shield valves half a turn on the upstairs rads. They get roasting. Just now I’m I’ve closed them all up stairs to see if this does anything. Also just tried bleeding the downstairs rads. A steady flow of clean water comes out

I think you could be right. It’s a Grundfos 15-50. It’s been quite noisy for sometime. I just tried bleeding it by undoing the centre bleed screw and the pump stopped. As I tightened it up it was struggling to turn (the pump I mean)
Had to find a sweet spot where it doesn’t leak out of the bleed screw hole and the pump turns. That’s not right is it?

Could be a pump problem, the upstairs radiators heating up through gravity circulation.
think you could be right. It’s a Grundfos 15-50. It’s been quite noisy for sometime. I just tried bleeding it by undoing the centre bleed screw and the pump stopped. As I tightened it up it was struggling to turn (the pump I mean)
Had to find a sweet spot where it doesn’t leak out of the bleed screw hole and the pump turns. That’s not right is it?

No. Time to replace the pump then you’ll be fine.
Ok. Thanks everyone. Couple of final questions. Where is the best place to get a new Grundfos 15-50 pump? And I take it I will only need the pump. No need to replace the housing with the unions? Also how much? I see them ranging from £160 - £250

If the pump is rotating sometimes then you MIGHT and im not saying do but might have a weak capacitor.
Probably best to replace the whole pump though to ensure future function.
I would change the pump valves at the same time.

Ok. Thanks everyone. Couple of final questions. Where is the best place to get a new Grundfos 15-50 pump? And I take it I will only need the pump. No need to replace the housing with the unions? Also how much? I see them ranging from £160 - £250
If the pump is rotating sometimes then you MIGHT and im not saying do but might have a weak capacitor.
Probably best to replace the whole pump though to ensure future function.
I would change the pump valves at the same time.
Sorry but what it the capacitor?
And the valves your are talking about are they the ones directly above and below the pump?

A capacitor is a device that helps start and run the motor. Yes the valves above and below the pump are best changed as well, they're notorious for leaking if you touch them.

A capacitor is a device that helps start and run the motor. Yes the valves above and below the pump are best changed as well, they're notorious for leaking if you touch them.
I just want to update.
my heating is now working fine thanks to all who replied.
the problem was a few things.
1. the heating engineer closed the bypass valve completely as with a 3 way zonal valve there is no need for a bypass as the valve is never closed.
2. The return pipe is 28mm. He said the return is not required to be so big so he closed if the valve on the return a little therefore restricting the return a bit.
3. The pump. The pump was replaced.
I’m now getting roasting hot radiators all round the house and they get to heat well within half an hour.
Result
Cheers

Glad to see you got it sorted and thanks for coming back to us. Hearing whether our speculations are correct is what makes our time on this forum worthwhile.
No worries I completely agree.
the pump alone may have fixed it but good to know about the other issues which help to fix. I’d never have known them

Reply to Downstairs rads taking ages to heat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock