Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs rads cold and it's not the pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam Everitt

Hi everyone,

Having a bit of a problem with my CH but have tested a few things now, wonder if anyone could narrow down the possible problems for me or suggest something else to try...

Previously had no problems with the heating for years, and it had been on the time regularly for a good 2 months before this fault occurred - system was completely untouched before the fault occurred.

Wednesday the week before last my downstairs radiators were stone cold but the upstairs ones were fine. Went through and bled all the air from rads and the valve near pump, did this over and over because since the pump was still running I assumed it could only be an air blockage, no success.

After a few days of this decided to replace the pump head, had to drain the whole system because the pump isolator valves weren't holding back any water! :32:

The old pump did have a bit of crud in the impellers but didn't stop it moving. Anyway, new pump in, system refilled, air out and it was perfect for a whole week until last night when the same problem seems to have come back!

Out of curiosity i'd been bleeding air from the rads all week and keep getting small bits of air every day in all upstairs rads and valve near pump - Something tells me that's not normal?

I'm thinking somewhere my system must be letting air in and it's creating a block, tempted to drain it all off again and refill just so we can have some heat downstairs but not sure what to try to get that permanent fix. Does this suggest a leak somewhere? Anyone suggest anything else I might want to try?

Thanks in advance,

I agree with SimonG.
If the impeller was blocked on the last it could have become blocked on the new one.
Which pump is it, a lot of the new ones are very sensitive and don't like any kind of restriction at all

So when you drained down did you change pump valves or just drain and swap head. If the latter there's your issue.

The pump is a Grundfos UPS 15-50.

Didn't change the valves as these were originally fully open anyway so left them the same, do i need to restrict anywhere?

I wonder if it's worth draining it again and checking the pump for crud... but that won't explain the air I was getting thru the week. As you suggested SimonG I might have a look at getting the rads pressure cleaned..

e2a
Draining water off at one of the downstairs radiators - no air at all just warm water? very sooty black warm water and it was only refilled a week ago... is this my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
As above. may be worth power flushing the system, chances are the sludge has started blocking the pipework. Expansion pipe may be blocked and forcing air to be drawn down the vent or Hydrogen gas is forming inside the rads.
If the pump is knackered then the other controls ie zone valves / boiler wont be too healthy either.

hi all, thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Pretty sure a magnet should never stick to the pipework....:rofl:?
This is where the expansion tank meets the hot water returning before entering pump - where i found debris previously

Think I might need to cut this piece out and replace before a good power flush, thoughts? e2a and a service on the boiler and someone round to inspect the zone valves?

blks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Downstairs rads cold and it's not the pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock