Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs radiators won't drain off ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

russblade

I have managed to drain off the entire 11 radiators on my house using one drain off point. I have fitted new radiators with new trvs lockshields . I filled the system ok with some cleaner and one small leak quickly dealt with. Problem now is I drained down the system but I cant get the down stairs radiators to drain down - why is that ? please help, and please don't say I need to fit drain valves to every radiator I have 3 towel radiators fitted

No but you'll probably need more than one drain cock depending on the layout. Where's the drain cock in relation to the rads that won't drain?

No but you'll probably need more than one drain cock depending on the layout. Where's the drain cock in relation to the rads that won't drain?

drain cock is in the hallway, closest to the front door, this was where the original draincock was. I have fitted 2 Vertical radiators( sittingroom ) 2 towel rads ( kitchen ) 1 towel rad (loo) and one rad (diningroom )
vertical rads are 1.4m high x 400cm wide.

Have you undone the bleed valves?

Yep, all undone upstairs, tried the vertical rads first down stairs and water comes squirting out, same as the rest, apart from the one in the hallway with the drain cock on, it drains out !

Sometimes when draining some systems you unknowingly create a syphon - especially if the end of the drain hose is at a much lower level to the drain point. You will notice a heating system or tank or copper cylinder will drain rapidly if from a height.
You may have had this happen the first time but something broke the syphon effect the second time - maybe air in system or a slight leak or autovent allowing air into system.
I have often drained a system at rad valve level & was surprised to find the pipework below that level to be empty.

Last edited:
Sometimes when draining some systems you unknowingly create a syphon - especially if the end of the drain hose is at a much lower level to the drain point. You will notice a heating system or tank or copper cylinder will drain rapidly if from a height.
You may have had this happen the first time but something broke the syphon effect the second time - maybe air in system or a slight leak or autovent allowing air into system.
I have often drained a system at rad valve level & was surprised to find the pipework below that level to be empty.

I've tried it twice now, ( refilled it, warmed it up ) and done everything should be, but unable to drain down stairs, whats the answer ?

Are the downstairs radiators on individual drops? If so then yes each drop should have a drain point!

If all the rads are fed from above ( usually when concrete floors ) then each rad must be drained one at a time, there should be rad valves incorparating a drain point but if there isnt then just have drain each rad into a tub,
If your rads arent fed from above then just remember when draining the system you need to open the airing valves to allow gravity in to help empty the system,

If all the rads are fed from above ( usually when concrete floors ) then each rad must be drained one at a time, there should be rad valves incorparating a drain point but if there isnt then just have drain each rad into a tub,
If your rads arent fed from above then just remember when draining the system you need to open the airing valves to allow gravity in to help empty the system,

I was trying to avoid draining each rad into tub there are 6 to do - I have tried everything else :((

Are they fed from above ? do the pipes come out of the wall,

I was trying to avoid draining each rad into tub there are 6 to do - I have tried everything else :((

Unfortunately there isnt any other way of doing as if each rad has drops behind the wall then the only way of depleting them is to do it one at a time mate,

Are they fed from above ? do the pipes come out of the wall,

yep, the combi is in the attic, all rads are fed by 10mm copper, upstairs rads drained easily, the pipes run down the side of the wall and are in plastic conduit,

Just noticed your from moray, waaaaaayyyy ,, are you elgin ??

Nice one

not really - the down stairs radiators won't drain off !!!!!
done very thing else myself, just hacked off with it -want to empty them all to get the cleaner out and put the inhibitor in, I refilled the system again so I can have the heating on again ! bloody freezen the night !!!

Drain them down into a tub then fit one of these on each rad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 40
There are loads of different ones and these are better then the ones you use a bleed key to open.

exactly what I've got on the hallway rad, was thinking that would be the answer,I haven't seen any of these on towel rads, do you get them ? going to have re-jig all the piping too : ((((

If you go down to your local merchants they should be able to sell you the rad tale with the drain cock on,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 41
aye, looks that way, puzzled as to how I managed to drain them all off the first time though?

It really depends what valves you already have but most towel warmers and radiators have 1/2" tappings.

Without actually seeing your system I couldn't say why it drained before.

if the downstairs rad has a doc of its own and it wont drain, un do the doc screw completely, remove the guts, take a long enough screw and screw it into the washer that is missing from the end of the doc youve just taken out, thats stuck in the inner part of the doc. make sure the rest of the system is empty, and have a few towels or a wet vac available.

I was thinking last night ( unusually ) if I drained and filled, drained and filled, drained and filled,...... would that actually be the same as draining all rads once???

I was thinking last night ( unusually ) if I drained and filled, drained and filled, drained and filled,...... would that actually be the same as draining all rads once???
If system was run inbetween each drain down (pump run) then it wont be the same as a complete drain down but you will have significantly diluted the cleanser. But only a test will tell you if the water is now neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Downstairs radiators won't drain off ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock