Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs rad won’t get hot in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have 2 rads downstairs and boiler plus 13 rads on first floor upstairs. All work apart from the one downstairs, I have changed this rad and valves and bled all, still no joy, pipes are stone cold too. Think it’s on its own separate drop as other downstairs rad is hot.
Beginning to wonder if the pipes to this one have blockage and if a chemical flush would help?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for reply, do you mean open valves on rad one at a time and drain off whilst running system?
You need to close one valve and run the other whilst the system is hot. Then once it is hot water flowing, close it and repeat with the other. You can use a drain tap if it has one or disconnect each valve (into bucket) or disconnect the top plug and connect a hose.
If this is a sealed system you will need to ensure it doesn't drop the pressure whilst you do it or you'll give yourself other problems. If it is open vent you should be OK.

Doing this will pull any air through and prove there's no blockage. Once the water is hot both sides, re-connect and open both. If it doesn't work, I would be looking at balancing again (you said you'd tried it).

Pull water through each side one at a time until hot. Once that's done, re-open both sides and see if it made a difference.
You need to close one valve and run the other whilst the system is hot. Then once it is hot water flowing, close it and repeat with the other. You can use a drain tap if it has one or disconnect each valve (into bucket) or disconnect the top plug and connect a hose.
If this is a sealed system you will need to ensure it doesn't drop the pressure whilst you do it or you'll give yourself other problems. If it is open vent you should be OK.

Doing this will pull any air through and prove there's no blockage. Once the water is hot both sides, re-connect and open both. If it doesn't work, I would be looking at balancing again (you said you'd tried it).

Reply to Downstairs rad won’t get hot in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock