Search the forum,

Discuss Does wrong direction flow matter ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tommc

As some of you guys will know I have installed a water softener, trouble is the water is no different, even though this isolation valve the arrow is facing the wrong way this should still work shouldn't it or should I turn it round, I thought the direction of flow would only matter when switching the valve in order to stop the flow of water, or is the softener working but be ause the direction of flow is the wrong way round is the softener water not being pumped into the system

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351975176.620636.jpg
This is what I mean, in just using it as an inlet without it being isolated ? Surely the flow direction only matters when the valve is closed, when its open it should flow fine, just wondering why the water is the same ?

Im guessing that both washing machine valves are the in and out to the water softener, if so you need to put a bypass valve between the two. You can do this by adding a level valve/isolation valve.

Im guessing that both washing machine valves are the in and out to the water softener, if so you need to put a bypass valve between the two. You can do this by adding a level valve/isolation valve.

Yes mate your right it was an eBay softener that came with no hoses although I didn't know this, I did install an isolation valve and its off so I know the water is running into the softener and it must be coming out as I have water everywhere else in the house, it just doesn't seem any different at all

How are you testing the softness of the water?

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/a...51884685-outside-stopcock-help-photo-1-1-.jpg

The lower blue hose is the inlet to the softener, the valve between the hoses is the bypass and is closed?
The top blue hose is the outlet from the softener.

Has the softener got a built in bypass?
Have you set it up for the correct regeneration rate?

Yes mate lower hose is the inlet to the softener, the higher blue hose is the outlet from the softener and the bypass is switched off, don't think the softener has a built in bypass, it's supposed to be idiot proof haha

How are you testing the softness of the water?

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/a...51884685-outside-stopcock-help-photo-1-1-.jpg

The lower blue hose is the inlet to the softener, the valve between the hoses is the bypass and is closed?
The top blue hose is the outlet from the softener.

Has the softener got a built in bypass?
Have you set it up for the correct regeneration rate?

Just testing purely by the difference after a shower, the wife is testing it more as her mum has a softener so she could tell the difference more than me, and she seems to think its no different at all

How hard the Wifes bottom is after a shower is not quite technical enough, you need something like these;

Total Water Hardness Test Strips Kit Easy & Accurate x6 | eBay

Test before and after the softener, you never know you might not have needed one..

Yeah mate I will have to get myself a testing kit, don't know what the wife's arse feels like as we have been married for 5 years haha, the water did need a softener I'm in thurrock Essex which is a really hard water area

Remember if you have a traditional gravity system, it will take a while (possibly several days) for the stored water (both hot and cold) to be replaced with softened water.

Remember if you have a traditional gravity system, it will take a while (possibly several days) for the stored water (both hot and cold) to be replaced with softened water.
Cheers megaflow, it's not a gravity fed system, I have never had a water softener and think I may have been sold a dud, it's set up to regenerate at 3am via the plug as you can see from the pic 3am has the little silver knob on it as does 7:30am, I thought this meant it would start at 3am and finish at 7:30 but it was still running after 7:30, am I wrong in my thinking, sorry for all the questions gentsImageUploadedByTapatalk1352018887.002023.jpg

What make is it?
Or a pic of the head if it's a no name.

That looks like a general purpose plug in time switch with labels stuck on.
If the time switch is faulty it's an easy fix.

The softeners I deal with on commercial sites only take 1 1/2 hrs to regen.

Last edited:
It's a calsoft up to 8 people, don't know if these pictures are much help
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352020858.392901.jpg
y5yhu9u2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does wrong direction flow matter ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock