Search the forum,

Discuss Does it harm an oil boiler if it is only used occasionally? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We're reviewing our heating options... One option is to mainly heat the house with wood, and keep our old oil boiler as back up and for occasional use. It's a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 and is probably around 20 years old. Do oil boilers only wear out from use? Or can there also be issues from lack of use?

Cheers

The boiler should really come on from time to time to at least stop things like pumps and bearings from sticking and seizing up.
The storage of kerosene is another consideration. The shelf life of kerosene varies from source but a few years if you're lucky. Additives are supposed to help prolong the shelf life but bacteria problems, condensation and sludge are a few things that can form if the kerosene is left unused.
What sort of time frame are you considering?
Is your solid fuel source going to supply all hot water and heating needs?

@SJB060685 - thanks for the reply and advice :)

OK, so if I were to turn the heating and hot water on once a month for a few hours, would that be enough? Perhaps just the hot water in summer though!

Good thinking RE the kerosene. I'll make sure we always have the additive from now on. How many years does it keep for with additive do you think? Will also not fill it right up so that it isn't sitting longer than necessary.

What sort of time frame are you considering?

It's really tough to say to be honest. At the moment we use less than a tank full in a year and it's our only heating. So when it becomes back up a tank full will last quite a few years.

Is your solid fuel source going to supply all hot water and heating needs?

We've always lived without hot water from taps, so no need for that. Showers are electric. As for heating, yes, it will mainly come from the wood stoves with the oil boiler as back up...

Cheers

I'd be more inclined to bring the boiler on once a week or two. To be honest it's hard to say and I can't give you an exact answer. If the boiler has been looked after over the years, with regular servicing then once a month might be OK.
There are a number if fuel oil additives on the market and they all claim to do different things and work magic. Honestly I'm not convinced that some claims are true and therefore would not/could not advise you on which one to purchase. Perhaps speak to your oil delivery company and ask their advice on additives. How long will kerosene last with additives you ask I couldn't tell you. If the tank is sound and not exposed to the elements then you could expect a few years but again don't quote me on that.

Interesting that kerosene deteriorates in storage. I'm assuming heating 'kerosene' is a different grade from the paraffin used for pressure lamps?

Does UK heating kerosene also contain a proportion of so-called bio-fuel that goes bad?

Only reason I ask is I have a quantity of paraffin I bought from a friend who inherited a drum of the stuff that was several years old and I have not had any problems with my camping equipment which I would imagine (perhaps incorrectly) would be more finicky than a large burner as used on a boiler. Just wondering what the difference is.

I dont find the kerosene to be an issue, its water and biological ingress into the tank that causes the issues.

I would want to spin up the oil boiler on a monthly basis, keep all the moving parts moving.

I would say the same to somebody who as pumped heating and gravity hot. Spin up the heating on a monthly basis. Not for long. Always get a lot of calls at start of heating season when things have sat for a number of months, pumps not working etc.

Reply to Does it harm an oil boiler if it is only used occasionally? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Worcester Oil Heatlslave 20/25 that has started making a fairly loud knocking noise and the the pressure gauge flicks a little when the noise thumps. The hot water still works, I've turned off the heating for the time being. Any ideas on what the...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock