Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone recognise this radiator/valve? Need a replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Does anyone recognise this radiator or the valve at the bottom of it?
The valve is leaking and my plumber is off to try to find a replacement...

1516F525-5DF2-4187-B373-A9694D08F351_1_105_c.jpeg

5938F16C-66C3-42E6-B265-13F63AA85317_1_105_c.jpeg
1516F525-5DF2-4187-B373-A9694D08F351_1_105_c.jpeg5938F16C-66C3-42E6-B265-13F63AA85317_1_105_c.jpeg
Thanks

Graham
[automerge]1578312877[/automerge]
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The valve says Drayton TRV4 on it. The leak is coming from the back of the pipe the valve is attached to, in the centre where the little hole is between the two pipes in this pic:
86E474FB-FD57-4734-B152-6602AC7B9C4B_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Quick google brought this up

Quick google brought this up
That looks perfect, thanks Simon!

My plumber told me it needed replaced, then went off to find a replacement and told me he couldn’t find one so I’d need a new radiator!

Thanks for your help!

Graham

Where is it leaking from. If from the body of the valve, you need a new one. If from the radiator or pipework attachment points, may just need one or more joints re-making.

Do you see the final picture I posted, showing the back of the h-block (now that I know that’s what it is 😆) after it had been removed?

between the two bits that connect to the system there is a little interned thing that you can turn with an Allen key. Not sure why that thing is there. It just seems to open and close the path between the in and out sides of the h-block. That’s where the leak was coming from.
Thanks
Graham

Do you see the final picture I posted, showing the back of the h-block (now that I know that’s what it is 😆) after it had been removed?

between the two bits that connect to the system there is a little interned thing that you can turn with an Allen key. Not sure why that thing is there. It just seems to open and close the path between the in and out sides of the h-block. That’s where the leak was coming from.
Thanks
Graham

*little indented thing

not little interned thing

What is that some sort of bypass in the body? I can't believe that can't be made leak proof with a bit of effort, after all you have enough paste and PTFE I think (not a good sign) everywhere else. Unscrew it completely and see, perhaps a washer or O-ring is worn if not wodge in some Boss White.

Wodge = wedge and bodge.

What is that some sort of bypass in the body? I can't believe that can't be made leak proof with a bit of effort, after all you have enough paste and PTFE I think (not a good sign) everywhere else. Unscrew it completely and see, perhaps a washer or O-ring is worn if not wodge in some Boss White.

Wodge = wedge and bodge.
Yes, I think it must be some sort of bypass. Can’t think of any other reason for it to be there and I agree, it must be possible to make it leak proof!
It’s held in by a little clip and after adjusting that clip (poking it with a screwdriver) I’m not seeing any leaks when I run water through it from a tap.

Will see if I can get it back in place...

cheers!

Graham

What is that some sort of bypass in the body?
Yes. When shut it will isolate the flow and return legs of the H-piece, i.e. a two-pipe configuration. For use on a one-pipe system, it sets the balance between flow through the radiator and though the bypass section. Don't see them in the UK very often IME, probably came with an imported 'designer' radiator.

Yes. When shut it will isolate the flow and return legs of the H-piece, i.e. a two-pipe configuration. For use on a one-pipe system, it sets the balance between flow through the radiator and though the bypass section. Don't see them in the UK very often IME, probably came with an imported 'designer' radiator.
Thanks chuck, that’s useful info.

I’m pretty sure mine is a two-pipe system.
31FBC919-D279-420C-8102-2A6D7A08B82B.jpeg

These are the pipes going to/from the radiator on the other side of the wall.

so I guess I just need to make sure that piece is shut and leak proof.

cheers!

Graham

These are the pipes going to/from the radiator on the other side of the wall.
Need to know where they go to and come from to be sure, but as long as you're in the UK, the system is less than about 30 years old and all the other radiators are working as normal it's very likely you have a two-pipe system.

Reply to Does anyone recognise this radiator/valve? Need a replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock