Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone know how many knights & men actually fought in the crusades? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Question for a history buff.
Does anyone know how many knights & men actually fought in the crusades?

No precise numbers exist, but it is estimated that at the Order's peak there were between 15,000 and 20,000 Templars, of whom about a tenth were actual knights.

Croppie might be in a better position to answer more clearly but the above is all i could find in specific numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which crusade did you have in mind Wetdrip? It covered a long period, of greater and lesser intensity.

For the logistics, you are probably better going to Roman sources, which are much better documented, despite being 1000 years earlier. Although there were changes in military technology between the two periods, the logistical requirements would have been almost identical.

Which crusade did you have in mind Wetdrip? It covered a long period, of greater and lesser intensity.

For the logistics, you are probably better going to Roman sources, which are much better documented, despite being 1000 years earlier. Although there were changes in military technology between the two periods, the logistical requirements would have been almost identical.

Where the Templars were in the front line.
It's the numbers and logistics I'm interested in Ray, as I've watched several T.V. documentries where the nowadays logistics are mind boggling.
Trying to figure out how they managed it back then, as,to me, seems an impossible task.
I mean how did they transport all their food and water on carts through sand, where the grease on the hub must have just dripped-off in the heat, and all hubs would have seized up.

Last edited:
I did enjoy the film , The Kingdom of Heaven lol

A lot of the Crusades logistics would have been by water - until the coming of modern railways, it was by far the most effective way of moving bulk supplies. Outremer has the advantage of being pretty coastal, so you can easily supply by ship.

But there was also a lot of living off the land, or sacking the nearest town for whatever you needed.

Question for a history buff.
Does anyone know how many knights & men actually fought in the crusades?

47 keniggits, 932 serfs, 13 wenches and 1 goat.

Dunno to be honest. Before accurate records were taken.

However I do know that the papal bull to dissolve the Templar order was issued on Friday 13th of October 1307 at the behest of King Phillip of France.

Probably doesn't help much....

I think logistics was the main reason the crusades failed, the armies starved whilst Saladin moved his army from water to water and waited

I think logistics was the main reason the crusades failed, the armies starved whilst Saladin moved his army from water to water and waited

Exactly my thinking, I know about the ships they used, but still think they just about starved to death. What a thirst they must have had too, and chainmail in that heat.

Reply to Does anyone know how many knights & men actually fought in the crusades? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock