Search the forum,

Discuss Does anybody have any experience of jetting 38mm waste pipes with a pressure washer? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The waste pipes from my kitchen sink, which also carry the dishwasher and washing machine waste, are severely blocked, and snaking it and clearing with a Vax aren't working any more; so I was going to try jetting it to see if that clears the gunk out.

Does anybody have any experience of jetting 38mm waste pipes, especially with a 90' bend?
The run is only about 3m from the trap to the soil pipe, but it needs to be able to go around 2 90' bends.
If so, can you recommend a suitable jetting hose.

A photo of the sink waste pipes, and the back story are here Kitchen sink won't drain properly 2-3 weeks after cleaning waste pipes - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/kitchen-sink-wont-drain-properly-2-3-weeks-after-cleaning-waste-pipes.111990/

One shot, but be careful with it and follow the instructions to the letter. Plenty of fresh air as well.
Unfortunately, I have tried that a couple of times in the past year, as well as caustic soda, vinegar and baking soda and bleach - not all at the same time though!
It used to fine for a year or so, with a Vax clean, but now that isn't lasting more than a week. The water starts backing up about 10 seconds after either machine starts pumping out, and bits of gunk start floating up; so I'm presuming that it is now quite gunked up, and all these products have done is clear a small channel down the pipe, which isn't enough to handle the sudden volume of water from the machines.
So I'm hoping that jetting it will clean the pipes out properly.

If the pipe is accessible the best and probably cheapest in the end solution is to replace the pipe with a suitable fall on it and using bends not elbows, which is probably what it has.

If you jetting from the sink end you'll end up with a lot of water and whatever is causing the blockage and the residue of One shot and any other chemicals you've put in there coming out the pipe into the kitchen untill the hose is past the blockage.

If it's to be jetted it needs to be done fom the stack end by someone with experience.

I suspect the fall is too shallow, as it used to need doing about once a year. Unfortunately the pipe runs under the hardboard floor and a cupboard into the soil pipe, where it is sealed in; which also makes it almost impossible, I would have thought to jet it from this end.
Kitchen Waste meets Soil Pipe.jpg

All the chemicals that have been put down there, should have gone, as that was a few months ago, and it has been Vaxed since then.

I can’t quite see what’s going on in your picture, but is It possible that squirting the expanding foam has lifted the waste pipe in the centre?

This would cause the problems you are having.

Might be time to start digging around removing that and see what’s there.

I know you said it’s under floors etc- but to solve your problem I expect this will have to come up. Nothing is impossible to solve, some are unpleasant / time consuming unfortunately.

In case anybody is interested, I bought a Deuba Drain Pipe Cleaning Hose, which came with a variety of adapters, one of which attached to the Karcher K2 I have. It managed to get around 2 90' bends with a bit of flexing beforehand and feed it in a good couple of metres; it couldn't manage a u-bend though.
It seemed from the details to be very similar to the Karcher one.
Details here DeubaXXL.com - https://www.deubaxxl.com/drain-pipe-cleaning-hose-15-m-flexible-jetter-tube-cleaner-unblocker/
Whether its use has solved my problem in the long term, only time will tell.

Well done. Jetting a pipe within a property from within the property can be interesting and professionals generally don't because of what snowhead says above. As you didn't encounter the problem of a lot of water where you don't want it very quickly then there probably wasn't much of a blockage.
Any partial blockage is probably caused by the lack of fall.
Re-pipe advised.
If you use push fit (which I wouldn't recommend ) you won't be able to use your new toy again....

Reply to Does anybody have any experience of jetting 38mm waste pipes with a pressure washer? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the cast iron pipe. The gunk is in the photo I've attached. The pipe work is also attached(it's disconnected as we cleared the u bend to clear it out)...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
My dish washer and washing machine are installed next to one another per the attached picture. After using the washing machine waste water per the attached picture fills the bottom of the dishwasher. In the attached picture this the waste water after 2 washing machine loads. Attached is a...
Replies
Views
B
Hi there, Have bought an old house and am having the old lead water mains pipe replaced and a new stopcock location/piping installed after massively high readings from water testing by the water company. Also buying new plastic water tank to start afresh so to speak. Pipework/joinery looks to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock