Search the forum,

Discuss Does a pressurized open loop need a smaller circulation pump? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Grundfos advertises their Alpha 1 & 2 pumps (I'm not sure if they just call both versions Alpha now); that it will replace 30 other pump models.

I've been using a UP15-29SU for many years. I'm using it to circulate water for our domestic hot water that uses a 3/4" copper pipe which goes down a hot well. It works like a heat exchanger. The pipe goes down 190' into the well, makes a U then comes back out. The water comes from our subdivision and is stepped down to about 50 psi in my house; flows at about 2.5 GPM out of my faucet or shower or dishwasher etc.

When there is no demand on the open loop the water will not circulate thus a pump is necessary for those times. If there is no pump or the pump has been off, it take several minutes to get the hot water. With the UP15-29 it gets hot in seconds. The downsides to this pump is that it is slightly noisy especially where the pump resides. It also uses about 90 watts of power, but it does the job. I'm wondering if I really need that powerful of a pump. If it was a three speed I could experiment with lower settings, depending on the pump. I was looking at the comfort series from Grundfos but i'm afraid the UPS10-16 series would not be powerful enough.

I guess my question is: if an open loop such as I described is pressurized, wouldn't I be able to use a smaller and quieter pump to circulate the water when there is no demand? Once the water is flowing and is hot, I could turn off the pump and it wouldn't make any difference in the pressure at the shower for example

Reply to Does a pressurized open loop need a smaller circulation pump? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi everyone, My flat is located next to a communal boiler with a hot water circulator pump ( Grundfos UPS 15-50N Secondary Hot Water Circulator ). The pump is noisy and vibrating. Would installing a more powerful pump solve the problem? Many thanks for your help!
Replies
Views
ChristineLondon
C
Hi all, we have a water circulation pump to bring hot water from our woodburning stove and send it to a thermal accumulator tank. We've just started our second season and it's broken. I thought these were meant to last 10 - 15 years? We don't have a domestic water supply - we use water from our...
Replies
Views
Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently using a Grundfos Booster Pump. This pump is fed by 2pcs of 1,000 liters water tank. Normally the pump would stop working only when there is no water in the water tank. But, recently for the past week, in the middle of the night, the pump would stop working even though the...
Replies
Views
Grundfos advertises their Alpha 1 & 2 pumps (I'm not sure if they just call both versions Alpha now); that it will replace 30 other pump models. I've been using a UP15-29SU for many years. I'm using it to circulate water for our domestic hot water that uses a 3/4" copper pipe which goes down...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock