Search the forum,

Discuss Does a gas meter need a mounting bracket? in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

I am currently studying to pas as a gas engineer and I have come stuck on some of The modules and can’t seem to find the answers anywhere.
Q1. A gas meter can be installed without a mounting bracket or support shelf, only when
A1. The supporting pipework either side Is constructed of rigid stainless steel which runs at least 600mm either side and is clipped/supported
A2. It is installed in an area unlikely to be disturbed
A3. It has been installed and signed off by the gas supplier

I am currently studying to pas as a gas engineer and I have come stuck on some of The modules and can’t seem to find the answers anywhere.
Q1. A gas meter can be installed without a mounting bracket or support shelf, only when
A1. The supporting pipework either side Is constructed of rigid stainless steel which runs at least 600mm either side and is clipped/supported
A2. It is installed in an area unlikely to be disturbed
A3. It has been installed and signed off by the gas supplier
Shouldn't there be a 4th option? Anyway, for what it's worth if you can't work out the answer from the 3 options, perhaps you may have chosen the wrong career.
A2 although unlikely to be disturbed it could happen, so obviously not the answer.
A3 Just because it has been signed off, doesn't mean it has been installed correctly, remember every job that you ever attend is down to you, and you alone. I have seen many installations that have been signed off, that have not been as per the regulations.

As I have always been told by my trainers & assessors in the past, keep looking the answers are in the book.

Good luck.

Shouldn't there be a 4th option? Anyway, for what it's worth if you can't work out the answer from the 3 options, perhaps you may have chosen the wrong career.
A2 although unlikely to be disturbed it could happen, so obviously not the answer.
A3 Just because it has been signed off, doesn't mean it has been installed correctly, remember every job that you ever attend is down to you, and you alone. I have seen many installations that have been signed off, that have not been as per the regulations.

As I have always been told by my trainers & assessors in the past, keep looking the answers are in the book.

Good luck.
Going through my workbooks all information points at the meter needing to be adequately supported. I am extremely new to learning this trade but hanging from 2 pipes does not seem safe to me. That’s why I was unsure. I thought it was more likely to be 3 as I assumed the installer would know what they was doing

I'm a duel fuel engineer, in answer to your question, the gas meter does need a bracket either screwed to the wall or floor it can be glued to the floor, also their is two types of "standard brackets" (not including semi con brackets) there is the slotted pipe bracket and the clamp bracket if there is a slot in the pipe (outlet) use the slotted bracket if there isn't use the clamp bracket, lead is always clamp bracket hope this answers your question I only completed my course about 4 months so it's all fresh upto date info I have if need anything else I'm happy to help. Cheers steve.

I'm a duel fuel engineer, in answer to your question, the gas meter does need a bracket either screwed to the wall or floor it can be glued to the floor, also their is two types of "standard brackets" (not including semi con brackets) there is the slotted pipe bracket and the clamp bracket if there is a slot in the pipe (outlet) use the slotted bracket if there isn't use the clamp bracket, lead is always clamp bracket hope this answers your question I only completed my course about 4 months so it's all fresh upto date info I have if need anything else I'm happy to help. Cheers steve.

What’s a duel fuel engineer qualifications? Is that just the basics for fitting meters?

You have to have cma1 and met 1, cma1 is core gas which is about 80% of ccn1, and met 1 is your domestic meter qualification.

How long is the course for cma1 Do you need any qualifications to enroll and do you need any electrical qualifications for their meters such as C&G2391

Going through my workbooks all information points at the meter needing to be adequately supported. I am extremely new to learning this trade but hanging from 2 pipes does not seem safe to me. That’s why I was unsure. I thought it was more likely to be 3 as I assumed the installer would know what they was doing
Never ever assume anything.
To clarify, BS 6891 States “Unless the meter is securely restrained (e.g. by a meter bracket), the connection to the meter installation shall be in securely fixed rigid pipe for at least the first 600mm”.
Also to be found in the Essential gas safety domestic 8th edition, in section 16 on page 17.
I hope this makes things clear.
You're welcome.
[automerge]1574352656[/automerge]
To clarify, BS 6891 States “Unless the meter is securely restrained (e.g. by a meter bracket), the connection to the meter installation shall be in securely fixed rigid pipe for at least the first 600mm”.
Also to be found in the Essential gas safety domestic 8th edition, in section 16 on page 17.
I hope this makes things clear. I started working in domestic gas 40 years ago, can't wait to retire.

Never ever assume anything.
I hope this makes things clear.
You're welcome.
[automerge]1574352656[/automerge]

I hope this makes things clear. I started working in domestic gas 40 years ago, can't wait to retire.
Absolutely Spot on ! 👍

Reply to Does a gas meter need a mounting bracket? in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
I am currently studying to pas as a gas engineer and I have come stuck on some of The modules and can’t seem to find the answers anywhere. Q1. A gas meter can be installed without a mounting bracket or support shelf, only when A1. The supporting pipework either side Is constructed of rigid...
Replies
Views
Could someone take a look at this for me please? Just had a boiler put in our property on a grant scheme. The boiler is great other than him not cleaning the pipework including gas joints before leaving 🙁. I've cleaned it up and it seems alright. My other main worry though was what the follow...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I'm a bit concerned with what the Gas Transporter is proposing regarding a replacement pipe install to the properties in the close I live on. The demographic is predominantly elderly, but it seems to be the contractors have gone a bit kamikaze & seem obsessed with finishing early...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock