Search the forum,

Discuss does a condensate waste now have to be 32 going through an external wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
does a condensate waste now have to be 32mm going through an external wall or can you still get away with 22mm through the wall and straight in to to 32mm then

condensate should be done in overflow and still ok as you say

The BS on boilers was updated late 2014 and says external pipe needs to be a min of 30mm bore

I'll have to take a picture of the one round the corner. Must be a good two lengths of overflow pipe snaking down the gable end :)

Also depends on the run. But yes 22 through the wall and 32mm external

All depends on the run and termination. You can sleeve through with 21 and increase 32 and insulation

From current BS 6798:2014

Specification for selection, installation, inspection, commissioning, servicing and maintenance of gas‑fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

6.3.7.1 Separate pressure relief valve and condensate discharge pipes

6.3.7.1.3 Diameter of internally run condensate pipe
The condensate drainage pipe connected to the condensate drain outlet on the boiler shall have a minimum internal diameter (ID) of 19 mm, or as recommended by the boiler manufacturer, to promote the clearance of condensate.

COMMENTARY ON 6.3.7.1.3
Historically, the outside diameter (OD) has been used to specify the size of condensate pipe required as this automatically delivered the internal diameter (ID) considered necessary to aid efficient disposal of the condensate. With the advent of European
Standards, plastic pipe manufacturers can now choose to manufacture to a variety of ODs and wall thicknesses, yet the minimum ID requirement to aid efficient disposal of the condensate remains. Hence the minimum ID is now specified as the requirement,
providing the maximum flexibility of choice for the installer.

6.3.7.1.4 Diameter of externally run condensate pipe
Any external condensate drainage pipe shall be increased to a minimum of 30 mm ID to reduce the risk of freezing.

COMMENTARY ON 6.3.7.1.4
When a boiler is to be installed in an unheated location, e.g. a loft, basement or garage, all condensate drainage pipes downstream from the trap or siphon should be considered as external.

Annex A

A.2 Connection to an external foul water discharge point
A.2.1 General

Where an external foul water discharge point is used the following measures shall be adopted.
a) The pipe shall be run internally within the building as far as possible before going external. Where the discharge pipe is external to the building the pipe diameter shall be increased to a minimum of 30 mm ID before it passes through the wall. Wherever practicable, for condensate discharge pipe operating under gravity, the fall to the horizontal for the 30 mm ID pipe through the wall shall be greater than the 2.5° required for internal 19 mm ID pipe.
b) The external run shall be kept as short as possible, preferably less than 3 m, taking the most direct and most vertical route possible to the discharge point, with no horizontal sections in which the condensate might collect.
c) The use of fittings, elbows, etc., shall be kept to a minimum and any internal burrs on cut pipework shall be removed to ensure that the internal pipe section is as smooth as possible.
d) To minimize wind chill at the open end of the condensate drainage pipe, the end of the pipe shall:
1) terminate below the grating and above the water level; and
2) be covered by a drain cover such as those used to prevent blockage by leaves.
e) To improve drainage the end of the pipe shall be cut at 45°.
f) The pipe shall be insulated from the point at which it emerges from the outside of the external wall of the building (ensuring no gaps between insulation and wall) using suitable waterproof and weatherproof insulation, e.g. Class O with a suitable PVC or other UV protective coating.
g) The owner of the appliance shall be advised that this type of installation is more likely to freeze in prolonged periods of extremely cold weather (see 6.3.4), resulting in boiler shutdown requiring remedial action.
h) Where there are likely to be extremes of temperature or wind chill, the use of proprietary trace heating systems incorporating an external frost thermostat can be considered, ensuring that the installation instructions of the trace heating manufacturer are followed.
COMMENTARY ON A.2.1
Other cold weather protection methods that are endorsed by the specific boiler manufacturer and/or specific service organizations can be adopted if the method adopted is acceptable to the owner of the appliance, e.g. innovations such as preheating condensate before it leaves the thermal envelope of the dwelling, and blowing warm air down the condensate pipe.
Class O insulation is not UV stable and therefore subject to deterioration when exposed to sunlight. PVC coated versions are UV stable and have added mechanical strength.

Last edited:
All depends on the run and termination. You can sleeve through with 21 and increase 32 and insulation

Where the discharge pipe is external to the building the pipe diameter shall be increased to a minimum of 30 mm ID before it passes through the wall.

Thanks Alex.
So it's 32 through the wall to outside then.
Was actually thinking..
Insulated 21mm discharge through wall and then increase 32mm outside and Insulated!
Finally
Much appreciated mate

Thanks Alex.
So it's 32 through the wall to outside then.
Was actually thinking..
Insulated 21mm discharge through wall and then increase 32mm outside and Insulated!
Finally
Much appreciated mate

No probs at all!
Yep, 32 is good, that's what the latest BS is telling us to do. Have to go by the book.

Overflow pipe needs insulating. 32mm doesn't. That's what we do anyway

Cheers mate. So much appreciated.

So if you go to a new customer for a routine service and find the pipe is wrong now but it was ok at the time of installation what do you guys do?

So if you go to a new customer for a routine service and find the pipe is wrong now but it was ok at the time of installation what do you guys do?

Ask them if it has frozen before and would they like it upgraded

Thanks Dancin, so it`s not compulsory to current regs then?

If its already installed, not a lot can be done tbh , can't force cust to upgrade it, unless you want to do it for free of course

If its already installed, not a lot can be done tbh , can't force cust to upgrade it, unless you want to do it for free of course

Fair enough, just that I see a lot that are wrong and wondered should I mention it or not.

Where the discharge pipe is external to the building the pipe diameter shall be increased to a minimum of 30 mm ID before it passes through the wall.
i think this was a typo...

Wherever practicable!

cant always bore a 32 through wall if the surrounding pipes/fabric dosnt allow!!

Fair enough, just that I see a lot that are wrong and wondered should I mention it or not.

Long run in overflow then just tell them if short under a m then chances it will be fine

Long run in overflow then just tell them if short under a m then chances it will be fine

One that stood out was in a garage, 22mm copper along 2 sides for say 25ft with little fall on the pipe, then outside down side of house for say another 15ft all without lagging.

One that stood out was in a garage, 22mm copper along 2 sides for say 25ft with little fall on the pipe, then outside down side of house for say another 15ft all without lagging.

That a good one hahaha

That a good one hahaha

Oh it gets better, where it pops outside through a half brick there is a compression 90 elbow taking it down to 6" above ground level then another 90 taking it to the rain water guttering downpipe where it enters the pipe and is sealed with a smear of silicone. Looks lovely! Not.

If it's in copper will be fine the cond water will eat through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to does a condensate waste now have to be 32 going through an external wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it should be but I'm fitting an upgraded external pipe setup to include insulation. The inner 22mm pipe mates with the 32mm pipe just inside the house. It...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into the wall with a right angle connector. There is no place to break into it to connect up a new arrangement for a new sink. So does anyone make a...
Replies
Views
Hi. I wish to combine the wastes from my bath and shower (Both 40mm) at the point they go out through the wall, then a 1.5 - 2 meter run externally across to the soil stack, with the 32mm sink waste dropping in about 250mm from soil pipe. Do I have to use 50mm waste externally for this? Not may...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock