Search the forum,

Discuss Do you know what these pipe connections are? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

AJO

Hi all

I moved into a new house last year and under the kitchen sink the pipework has what looks like 2 filter connections but I have never seen these before and having ploughed through the internet I can't find any products that look similar. Even went into a couple of stores including Selco and Wickes asked staff and no one had a clue.

Does anyone know what they are? I want to know if its something that needs regular replacement, new parts etc.

Thanks

Plumping 1.jpg
Plumping 2.jpg

Thank you. So they just stay attached permanently and no regular action is needed for them. Thought they were some sort of water filters and softener. Oh well.

Thank you. So they just stay attached permanently and no regular action is needed for them. Thought they were some sort of water filters and softener. Oh well.

As the guys have said it's an anti-flood device. There is hose within a hose and if the inner hose bursts, the outer hose fills with water eventually reaching that "control box" looking thing which has some kind of float valve I believe and that shuts off the supply to the leaky hose within.

Also incorporates a scale reducer.

One of the reason I thought it might by a water softener is that when I first moved in the water was clear. Washing glasses and cutlery left no water stains which I used to get a lot in my old house in the same area. Its a very hard water region. Now seem to get more and more water stains which us why i thought it maybe something that needed replacement/new filter etc.

Can't quite work out why the water seemed the first few months but now hard again. How can i confirm if it has a scale reducer?

The clear glasses and cutlery was from normal tap washing so that mystery is still there.

If you are describing glasses that have gone 'cloudy' after washing in a dishwasher, try soaking a sample in warm vinegar for about 20 minutes.

If it comes out shiny then the problem was limescale due hard water and you just need to have a session vinegar-treating all your glasses.

If it's still cloudy the glass has been attacked (etched/corroded) by the dishwasher chemicals you are using. You can get formulations that claim not to do this but I don't think that the damage already done is reversible.

Reply to Do you know what these pipe connections are? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a question, I want my flat to be separately connected to the mains water supply for water coming into my kitchen and bathroom instead of sharing the same pipework as my neighbours. Is this doable and if so is it the water board who will carry this out or a plumber? My flat has shared...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock