Search the forum,

Discuss Do olive-pullers work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have a very good success rate of the getting them off using a junior hacksaw. However, it's one of the most annoying things to have to do. Do these work? Because at 20 squids, they want to.

Dont know about the pullers but we use olive cutters , they are a winner especially for TRV converts if the pipe is OK.

Just more to carry and when you need them you cant find them. Knock them off with the jaws of an adjustable spanner.

Just more to carry and when you need them you cant find them. Knock them off with the jaws of an adjustable spanner.
Agree but you havent answered the question. I was pondering the same thing, Is better to get the cutters or the pullers?

got a set of olive cutters but tend to use pump pliers more often as they are more to hand

Have only used the olive cutters [and the junior hacksaw ] bit sceptical at first but found them o.k will look at the feedback before I invest [maybe treat myself to new packet of blades:D]...:)regards turnpin

vary rare i have to use cutters or hacksaw - normally have to give them a squeeze all the way round 3-4 times with grips then pull off.

Funny you should ask this watertight, I was thinking of starting a thread on this.

I've just this minute got in from a difficult job swapping an old mira sport (top left water inlet), the mira Vie I replaced it with requires the connection further down.

The stub of 15mm copper pipe came straight through the tiles and straight into a comp fitting, putting an elbow on the nut and olive (nut hard up against tiles) meant the shower case would foul on the fitting and not sit flat against the wall.

I had to use the olive puller to pull the nut and olive off the pipe (no room to tap off with spanner) but the olive was totally crushed to begin with so when it finally came off the pipe was deformed reducing the end to 14mm.

I had to then solder an end feed elbow on with the cable dangerously in the way but got away with it.

Olive puller is a rarely used toolsbut without it tonight how would I have got that nut & olive off?

I've an olive puller and used it a few times - never failed me yet - from memory it's Monument and didn't cost me too much. And I've never had a problem using the pipe after removing the olive.

Good question, Watertight. Got showed a set of cutters once and thought they'd be handy, never got the opportunity to buy a set, you know money to burn and they're there in front of me. Lost count of the times they'd cut time off a job, and probably three or four times when I've cursed myself for not having a pair when i've attacked a tight olive until all hope is lost and knackered everything, pipe, nuts, knuckles the lot.

I bought 15 and 22mm joint formers once, a waste of money them, have had there uses but not used as intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question, Watertight. Got showed a set of cutters once and thought they'd be handy, never got the opportunity to buy a set, you know money to burn and they're there in front of me. Lost count of the times they'd cut time off a job, and probably three or four times when I've cursed myself for not having a pair when i've attacked a tight olive until all hope is lost and knackered everything, pipe, nuts, knuckles the lot.

I bought 15 and 22mm joint formers once, a waste of money them, have had there uses but not used as intended.

15mm and 22 mm olive cutters there the dogs undercarriage lol

ive always been able to manage with a junior hacksaw! i lightly cut thru half the olive on a diagonal angle then stick a flat blade screwy in the cut channel and twist, olive splits and pops off.
i may consider an olive puller/cutter in the future but not until i find myself in a situation where my current method doesn't do the trick.

KJ;)

I find that if the olive has been crunched on good and proper, when you use the olive puller to try and remove it the pipe just ends up getting distorted and flanged.

Hi all

I have used the olive puller on many occasions and i find them to be a great tool to have. Did not like the idea of spending so much dolla on them but they have paid for themselves time over time again.

Great for new rad valves especially when been concreted in floor and you cant do a new section , not used very much but like phil said some times you will need em so just keep em well greased up in tool box for when you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do olive-pullers work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock