Search the forum,

Discuss Do new tap cartridges fix water hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Oz_Rich

Hi all,

We have some terrible water hammer in our house. I've had a plumber come round to try and fix it, to no avail, but I'm not convinced he chose the right course of action. He started by checking the water pressure, securing a few pipes in the roof space which was fair enough, but dismissed my question about installing water hammer arrestors, instead suggesting he change the cartridges in the offending mixer taps. Unfortunately, one of the cartridges was stuck, resulting in the entire tap being replaced at a cost of over $1000 in parts and labour. However, the new cartridges and tap haven't done a thing to stop the pipes banging.

So my questions are;
  • Can an old mixer tap cartridge cause water hammer?
  • Would replacing it with a new like-for-like cartridge make any difference?
  • Is that really what you'd try first ahead of hammer arrestors? Might it depend on the circumstances of the home?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no", I feel I have good grounds to ask for a significant discount, as the plumber seems to have been more interested in getting rid

I've complained to the company about the lack of communication around the completely unexpected blowout in cost. But if the answer to any of these questions is "no", and therefore the plumber's approach was completely off, I feel I have grounds for a significant discount (which I need in order to hire another plumber to get the job done!).

Many thanks for any help you can give... Richard

I have heard of someone complaining about a bang on turning off a tap that was resolved by changing the tap cartridge. We never worked out the why, but that was what happened, so I suppose the answer to 1 and 2 must be ' sometimes it can'.

It would definitely depend on the circumstances what I would try first after that and it might end up being a gut feeling thing. Your plumber's initial approach seems sound, however.

The elephant in the room is how changing a tap can come to $1000AUS. I'm not sure what labour charges are in Australia, but I'd be interested to know what kind of tap was installed, the probable cost of it, and how long the job took.

I have heard of someone complaining about a bang on turning off a tap that was resolved by changing the tap cartridge. We never worked out the why, but that was what happened, so I suppose the answer to 1 and 2 must be ' sometimes it can'.

It would definitely depend on the circumstances what I would try first after that and it might end up being a gut feeling thing. Your plumber's initial approach seems sound, however.

The elephant in the room is how changing a tap can come to $1000AUS. I'm not sure what labour charges are in Australia, but I'd be interested to know what kind of tap was installed, the probable cost of it, and how long the job took.

The tap itself was around $300, but the labour costs, including a trip to the supply shop cost around $700 at about $180 per hour. It's expensive down under, although this is definitely on the higher end of the price range.

I’ve had one cause water hammer yes the ceramic Discs were worn and vibrating in the seating when you closed / used the cold tap it sounded like a jack hammer next door

I have had water hammer problems for 2 years after having a pressurised system installed.
Last week I had to replace two mixer tap cartridges in my kitchen and since then the water hammer problem has stopped.
Coincidence or not I’m very happy as a plumber spent many an hour trying to resolve the problem without success.

The tap itself was around $300, but the labour costs, including a trip to the supply shop cost around $700 at about $180 per hour. It's expensive down under, although this is definitely on the higher end of the price range.
Totally ripped off with those prices!!!.
Good luck with getting any discount from the company - you've already paid.

Did they check the water pressure with a gauge at all?
Did they check any other taps?

Reply to Do new tap cartridges fix water hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock