Search the forum,

Discuss Do I Need to Vent in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys

I need to fit a new waste trap connection under a bathroom basin, the pipe from the basin has no other pipes joining into it, it simply connects directly into the soil stack, the stack is vented at roof height.

There is a shower waste, bath waste and toilet waste all connected into the same stack, but all on seperate pipe runs into it and they all connect into the stack at a lower level than the basin waste.

The pipe from the basin runs at the correct fall into the stack
A bottle trap is fitted at the moment and the water is very slow going down and I need to replace a click clack plug and Iv'e ended up having to take the bottle out in order to get the click clack fitting out.

On getting the bottle out I found it to be blocked up hence the water being very slow to go down when emptying the basin, so I'm thinking of changing the bottle for a 75mm U type trap.

Question: Which would be the best to go for, unvented or vented, would a vented one help in any way regarding the trap getting blocked up as I live in a hard water area?

Thanks to anyone who can help

A vent won't help.
It's soap, skin and hair that cause the blockages.
A tubular trap is the best way to go, bottles slow the flow down.

I would personally replace it with a Mcalpine anti vac bottle trap but in truth as long as it has correct depth of seal whatever fits best will do.

I would use a p-trap with 76mm seal as it’s going to the stack.

No need for vented/anti-vac trap.

Look at various waste fittings, some click clack types have a lot of metal holding the centre section - so much so that there is very little space left for the water to go down and they are more prone to blocking.

I would use a p-trap with 76mm seal as it’s going to the stack.

No need for vented/anti-vac trap.

Look at various waste fittings, some click clack types have a lot of metal holding the centre section - so much so that there is very little space left for the water to go down and they are more prone to blocking.
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys and yes, I’ll go for a U trap as when I had a good look at the bottle trap I could see it works by the waste water going down inside a tube which obviously doesn’t go right to the bottom of the bottle, the water spills out at the bottom then flows up the outside of the tube until it reaches the bottle outlet.

I could see the tube is acting more like a baffle making the water passage fairly restricted when trying to get out so there was a load of soap and whatever stuck there.

Click clacks are okish but when the rubber seal goes on them and the water starts slowly emptying out of the basin, Iv'e found it a hopeless task trying to find a replacement which will fit even its complete with the chrome button and I don’t think the butterfly type can be removed at all not even to replace the rubber seal or fit a new butterfly, there’s a lot to be said for an old-fashioned plug and chain, at least you don’t have dismantle the basin to replace the plug :)

I have to admit the click clacks I’ve fitted in my house are unbranded so it doesn’t help when trying to get replacement bits, so thought I'd give this one a try.
Kartell Easy Clean Spruing Plug Basin Waste WAS006, if anyone has tried them perhaps you could let me know if they are any good.

Kartell.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what I’m talking about, when that brass stem with two o-rings is in the outer casing there is very little passage for water/soap etc.
At least that one seems easy to lift out to clean.

Vado do a plastic bodied universal click clack which is easy to fit without sealant, has less obstruction and much better made than the unbranded ones at screwfix etc

Reply to Do I Need to Vent in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old toilet on the top floor (to be removed) which empties into an outdoor vertical SVP and into the ground. The pipe is straight with a vent terminal on top. Another toilet on the ground floor empties through the suspended timber floor into (what I suspect) a drain. I wish...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering if this is allowed or will work in the UK. We currently have all our waste water connecting to a single vented stack. The pipes from the toilets etc connect to the vertical stack via a horizontal pipe as you would expect. I'm about to renew all the soil pipes. We have 2 entry...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all, I'm preparing an estimate for a bathroom renovation in a block of flats. As always I'm trying to flag up / plan for and cost as many possible unknowns as possible in advance. One thing that I've not seen before is the ~50mm pipework connecting into the soil stack (see picture). My...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock