Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need to cover copper pipes before plastering over? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chester8

I am currently having my bathroom refitted with new copper pipe work being installed. The plumber has chased the copper pipe work up the walls but has not put a sleeve or meshing over the pipes before plastering over. Is this ok? I would assume that the hot water pipes would need to expand with the heat and surely the plaster will stop it from doing so? Also, will the plaster carode the copper in the future if the pipe is not covered?

Any advice would be appreciated so I can go back to the plumber with the right knowledge before he comes back to finish the bathroom.

When I chase copper into a wall I always wrap it in duct tape or electrical insulation tape.

Yes. All copper pipes should be covered with something, especially if sand & cement is used. A bit of movement is better as you say. Some plaster doesnt do any harm to copper. Even plastic sheet cut into 2 or 3" strips & wrapped tight like a bandage & taped would do. Wire mesh can be good if a wide area & helps avoid cracks, but not always necessary.

plaster, compo etc.... can corrod copper pipework. Rapping in tape is good idea.

CELAFELT hairfelt tubular pipe lagging is a good idea as it would allow some movement. I personally would also insulation tape it too.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/106.asp

2nd from bottom,

Last edited:
Denso tape is best but paint stainstop over the plaster over them as grease patches can leach through the plaster.

In a ideals world you would have a chase with a accessibly cover and lagging on the pipes and this would comply with British standards BS6700 I know this will not be a popular option. But at lest the copper wants protecting from the cement. to stop it attacking the pipes.

I always cover my pipes as well but I'm curious, how long does it take on average for cement to eat through copper tube?

20 year?

hello ,
The efects are visible in the first year .The copper pipes needs protection always.The polyethylene foam layer is for: protection expansion and condensation.

Easiest by far is plastic coated soft copper. You don't have to spend ages wrapping the pipes or getting that nasty sticky grease off your fingers afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do I need to cover copper pipes before plastering over? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock