Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need an unvented hot water cylinder? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there, we are due to have a new shower room built in a loft conversion. We are a family of 5, with one existing bathroom. Will we need to have an unvented hot water system installed to enable the 2 showers to run successfully at the same time?
Pressure and flow at house is 2 bars/18 litres per min. Water company tested it at mains and it is just over 2bar/30 litres per min. Thanks.

1. If you have a combi boiler of around 35 kW or bigger, and your shower flow requirements aren't outrageous, you could have two showers using around 8 litres per minute each without hot water storage. However, anyone turning on another tap could well cause one or both shower to run cooler.
2. If you have a smaller combi you could consider using an electric shower (say 10.5 kW) for one bathroom. As well as avoiding installing hot water storage, this gives you some hot water if the combi is out of action. The flow from an electric shower won't be great, but many people manage with one as their only shower. I'd consider the flow adequate for a teenager!
3. If you have a system or heat only / regular boiler, you will need a hot water cylinder (HWC). This could be:
3a. Unvented, which means you wouldn't need a cold water storage cistern (CWSC).
3b. Vented, which means you would need a CWSC.
4. Given that you have a loft conversion, you may not have the room for a CWSC, in which case your options are big combi or unvented.
5. If you have room for a CWSC (which must be higher than the HWC) you could use a pump or pumps to provide better flow to the showers, subject to careful sizing of the tanks, pumps and pipework,
6. If you opt for an unvented HWC:
6a. They can only be installed by a G3 registered plumber.
6b. They must be notified to Building Control. This is normally done by the G3 installer.
6c. They require an annual service, again by a G3 registered person.
6d. You can get one with one (or two) immersion heaters, which again can provide hot water if the boiler is out of action.
6e. You will almost certainly need to get the cold water inlet to the cylinder piped in 22 mm from the incoming mains if you want a decent flow out.
7. Your existing boiler can be used to heat an unvented cylinder, whether it is a combi, system or heat only boiler.
8. If you think it likely that there will be several showers taken simultaneously / in quick succession, have a look at fast recovery cylinders, but be aware these require substantially more heat (for less time) from the boiler.

I’d look no further than an unvented. If you don’t want rid of your combi as long as it’s large enough to cope then it can do the cylinder too

Reply to Do I need an unvented hot water cylinder? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock