Search the forum,

Discuss DIY manifold with PEX and plumbing a bathroom in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, my wife and I have recently purchased a house in Edinburgh (move in date 6th dec hopefully) and I have been working hard to get a plan done for a diy manifold and I shall do a complete refit of the bathroom. I plan to do it all myself bar the electrics and boiler connections. The floor is 2m x 2m.

The boiler is a combination boiler but unsure if it is a condensing type or not. It is around 10 years old as informed from the owner. Don't have a pic or access unfortunately till the 6th. Located on the ground floor and serves the ground floor kitchen, 1st floor bathroom and the radiators on both of those floors. I plan to do the bathroom to begin with and want to put in underfloor heating along with a towel radiator on the hot water line so it runs all year round. Im getting a bit confused with the towel rad and UFH, will i need a 4 way mixing valve on both the towel rad and UFH, im sure there is a better way.

It not complete yet but I have attached a PDF with lots of drawing and sizes etc and was just hoping for some feedback. It is missing the electrics, central heating and drainage so far. Lots of pipes to move to correct location!

Page 1: is the most important for me to get correct, it will help the rest fall into place. All the 3d parts are just rough.

Is the filling loop usually just a valve kept in the off position or should it be something else?

Are the expansion tanks locations correct in the drawing? I dont know if there is an expansion tank inside the boiler or not, will have to wait and see.

Page 2: I am interested in making the manifold system which is constructed from 22mm copper leading onto pex connections for all pipework throughout the home. 22mm for DW, WM shower and hoses. 15mm for the rest, including central heating. Have put a shutoff valve and drainage for each line.

Page 3, 4 and 5:
general idea of plumbing in 3d.

Page 6: wetroom floor cross section, shows the layers of ply, Ditra membrane and adhesives. Is my porcelain tile adhesive a good choice, going to grab it from Stax for a better deal!

Page 7:
Im going to go through studs as much as possible with piping but sometimes will need to go through the joists. Want to check my locations are ok.

Thanks for reading and will try to reply asap but have a needy toddler in the house to look after!

Attachments

• plumbing.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 26
Page 1
You seem to have a connection between the DHW and the Towel Rail and another connection between the DHW and UFH.?

What's the purpose of the loops at the Hot manifold and the cold manifold, they could end up being dead legs.?
You seem to have an expansion vessel on the mains cold to the DHW HEX and another on the Hot after?

Page 1
You seem to have a connection between the DHW and the Towel Rail and another connection between the DHW and UFH.?

What's the purpose of the loops at the Hot manifold and the cold manifold, they could end up being dead legs.?
You seem to have an expansion vessel on the mains cold to the DHW HEX and another on the Hot after?

Hi snowhead, thanks for your reply.

That is a very good point, i shall move the Towel Rad and UFH over to the central heating line, baby brain. I thought that since the radiators will be running alot hotter than the UFH it would go on the DHW line.

The loops were the idea of having a even pressure to each of the lines, was using this manifold idea.
[automerge]1575228820[/automerge]
Ok, so we have an updated schematic on page 1 for the UFH and Towel Rad on the central heating line.

Removed the second expansion tank and rearranged things.

Anyone spot anything wrong with the system or is it looking ok?

Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
First off, that is an absolutely gorgeous diagram and visualizations. No room for imagination there--perfect!

As for the Ardex bonding adhesive, you might want to consider the similar Schluter product since you are putting Ditra down. If you use all the correct Schulter products you get the Schulter lifetime warranty. You can check out the warranty details here.

Since this is a PEX system you also might want to include PEX maintenance loops for your hose bibb runs. You can see what I’m talking about here.

We haven’t encountered UFH or a towel rad this far south. I’ll definitely follow this thread to learn more.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these suggestions.

Oh I love the PEX maintenance loops, what a super idea, thank you justneedspaint!

And thank you kindly, I try my best.

I have tried to find the Schulter adhesive for a reasonable price, but I can't bring myself to pay for it and have to wait for delivery, seem to only be import and i don't trust ebay sellers.

Reply to DIY manifold with PEX and plumbing a bathroom in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
As part of deep house renovation, planning to install wet ufh on the ground floor, and radiators on upper floor. Two bathrooms will have both water based towel warmers and electric ufh, and need dual thermostat to separately control air temp (by running towel warmer) and floor temp. Need...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone I wasn’t sure whether to post this in here or UFH but hopefully I’m posting this in the correct group. I’m in the throes of a full renovation and am currently designing the central heating system, I’m installing radiators (11 or 12 in total) and am going to run each rad from its...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock