Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Should I create a DIY forum to direct people away from this forum who are doing DIY jobs?

I could then make our three main forums (tilers, plumbers and electricians) all for professionals and trainees only. I think that's how most networks are doing it. So perhaps we do the same?

Your thoughts?

We have had considerable success helping DIYers and preventing them from attempting illegal and complicated projects. Anybody can paint and decorate but plumbing looks easy but is not. They tend to ask at the weekend and stimulate interesting exchanges in my opinion. We did have the Plumbers Arms. Cheers Dan
centralheatking

I think the vast majority of people on this forum who seek our advice are DIY folk (my impression). It might be boring without them and I can't see tradesmen/women visiting DIY sites. I personally think that spreading things out further will only dilute a good thing?
Just a thought! Might be wrong.

The 'commercial' forum, which seems quite close to what you are proposing, gets very few posts.

Personally, I don't take much notice of the sub-forum structure. I just use the "What's New" tab.

Incidentally, IIRC, links in "What's New" in the old UKPF took you straight to the first unread post in the thread. In the new PF.net it only seems to have links to the first or last post, which is not quite as convenient.

I think if you removed the diyers it would be a ghost town in here and would be the end of the forum. Who will visit a forum with no new content.

We have the arms and gas safe only for anything we dont want the customers to see or read. Maybe try and build the arms back up to the way it used to be years ago when there was posts going and going about anything and everything.

It also raises subjects that may not be raised and gets people talking and you learn things you thought you knew but been doing it wrong.

Should I create a DIY forum to direct people away from this forum who are doing DIY jobs?

I could then make our three main forums (tilers, plumbers and electricians) all for professionals and trainees only. I think that's how most networks are doing it. So perhaps we do the same?

Your thoughts?
Ultimately Dan it will be your advertisers that will decide canvas them, but maximum exposure to an appropriate market calls the shots. Diyers are often laden with highly disposable cash and will buy and with our input will flash the cash or press the buy button.
centralheatking.....there are 60m people in uk with 20m combis eg hanging on their walls,plus taps bathrooms wc etc. how many plumbers & Ch outfits ?and then only you know how many regulars on here. chking I suppose its a lot like a football club, the supporters think they control the club, in fact its the owners, shareholders and advertisers that call the shots. Dont get me wrong I am happy whatever.

Last edited:
Amateurs are really the life blood of this place as they come here hoping to get expert advice. Sure, come December the forum will be inundated with cases of frozen condensate pipework but more often than not it's the DIY'er getting into a pickle that make for the most interesting cases to read, try to resolve as well as learn from. Seperating them from the pros as mentioned by other members would I feel be detrimental to the health of the forum.

Do you mean, a whole new website? or just a specific DIY sub section within this one Dan?

I was told this forum originally was trying to open up to DIYers doing all plumbing/heating work including gas, but didn’t happen?
Now it is going the complete opposite direction??

At present we still have the old set up of the Arms section and the other sections locked to new members, so we already have the separation if we need it.

Last edited:
Incidentally, IIRC, links in "What's New" in the old UKPF took you straight to the first unread post in the thread. In the new PF.net it only seems to have links to the first or last post, which is not quite as convenient.
Either I was mistaken, or this has been fixed recently.

IMHO, this forum serves two purposes. 1 - to talk to fellow professionals for every reason imaginable & 2 to help others...

On a personal level I've found myself much less inclined to proffer advice since it was made more global. Having some experience of the plumbing from other nations, I know the UK to have either better or worse standards which means those of us based here could possibly suggest something very wrong in Timbuktu ! We already see some of that with dear Oz.

It occurs to me that offering incorrect advice can be as damaging to the site as ignoring people so I'm not sure how ambitions of global domination in plumbing forums can work at this point in time with the overwhelming majority of contributors being UK professionals.

Perhaps the answer is to create DIY advice sections for each of the worlds 195 countries? At least that way one is more likely to offer 'pertinent' advice. Remember, due to the British Empire, many countries use British standards even to this day rather than reinvent everything from scratch.

Don’t think you should split the diy. Keeps the forum active and interesting.

I enjoy reading and mentally solving the diy issues that come up. Pros would solve the issue while on the job and it’d never get posted.

Ultimately Dan it will be your advertisers that will decide canvas them, but maximum exposure to an appropriate market calls the shots. Diyers are often laden with highly disposable cash and will buy and with our input will flash the cash or press the buy button.
centralheatking...there are 60m people in uk with 20m combis eg hanging on their walls,plus taps bathrooms wc etc. how many plumbers & Ch outfits ?and then only you know how many regulars on here. chking I suppose its a lot like a football club, the supporters think they control the club, in fact its the owners, shareholders and advertisers that call the shots. Dont get me wrong I am happy whatever.
No.

We create the forums and their categories for members, and traffic. We do need some sponsors, but they haven't ever suggested I do or change anything, ever. Since 2006. On all forums.

So please don't start repeating that. It couldn't be further from the truth.

I can see where you're coming from.

But it's just not the case.

I just want to open up the lovely forum to more people than just the usual 50. :)

The other forums are booming. This is getting back there. It was very cliquey a few years ago. They seemed to have something going with GSR that was questionably dodgy. So they always gave other plumbers the boot the moment they could. It tarnished the site a bit. So we need to get that community feel back. But not a cliquey one.

And if that meant losing every sponsor. I'd do that.

But they totally leave me to it. If they wanted to make their own forums to shape those how they want to, they could. But then they become biased and an easy target for independent forums and their users.

So they want it to be constructed the way it naturally would be. I listen to you guys, have a look at what other forums are doing, see what Google can send us traffic for, take a look at what percentage of all plumbing traffic we get here in the UK - And time and time again it just makes sense to open it up to everybody, and see who picks up on it - then shape it for them.

The sponsors don't really get a say at all in the shaping of it. In fact @CorgiDirect has just been left to it since he came on board and I actually feel a bit bad about it!

I've setup advice forums for sponsors on our other forums. And will setup those here too in a couple of weeks. Because we can all be working together a bit better on here to make it something much bigger than it is.

While mentioning goings-ons - Worth thanking the lads who have stood on the door during it's cold nights sorting out bitchy comments and dodgy advertising spam posts and stuff. Thanks people. :)

But we're starting to need more avenues now. We have a lot of unregistered traffic for the amount of new thread we have created. I think the content we've had for years serves us well. But it needs to be used to gain more traffic ongoing really.

Anyway. Not up for discussion right now. :) I'll give you a shout when I'm after some comments from members, like I did with this thread. Which is now off-topic thanks to me lol sorry! :D

Personally I'd suggest the pretty much boiler plate answer from some members of "get a plumber, its far too complicated for you to understand" is what puts many off. Some members are really helpful, others are aggressive bordering on threatening.

Yup.

Just got rid of that on Sparky forum. Got rid of it on tilers early in the year. About to come around to this one soon. :)

Testing the water here. ;)

My line is "if you're not helping the person who posted the thread when you reply, don't bother".

They already know they can get a plumber in before they come here.

Gas-wise, clearly need to trap them buggers. Or let darwin theory kick in and let them tap into that gasline, as long as nobody else is near them to blow up with them? Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

As a diyer, and not a very good one - mainly electrics.

Are you suggesting that we DIYers should have a separate area which excludes the tradesman and that we form an information area strictly for ourselves - where we can discuss things that we don't want the tradesmen to know?

I studied as a scientist and strongly believe that information should be available to all . E.g. Information on guns available but guns not.

We get so much help from the tradesmen that it would be a great loss separating their input.

As an example very relevant. The boiler manufacturers give the owner the installation manual for the boiler which includes details and mantenance plans. Mine says that Y plan systems normally don't need a bypass valve. (One of my other posts)

Is it legal for me to have this?
Is it legal for me to open the cover - no its against the law.
Is it legal for me or anyone to drive over the speed limit or be instructed how to do it?

Just my thoughts.
[automerge]1569091992[/automerge]
And my final words.

My surgeon said that he isn't going to tell me any information on my upcoming operation as he is opening the covers and it would be illegal for me to do it myself.

As a diyer, and not a very good one - mainly electrics.

Are you suggesting that we DIYers should have a separate area which excludes the tradesman and that we form an information area strictly for ourselves - where we can discuss things that we don't want the tradesmen to know?

I studied as a scientist and strongly believe that information should be available to all . E.g. Information on guns available but guns not.

We get so much help from the tradesmen that it would be a great loss separating their input.

As an example very relevant. The boiler manufacturers give the owner the installation manual for the boiler which includes details and mantenance plans. Mine says that Y plan systems normally don't need a bypass valve. (One of my other posts)

Is it legal for me to have this?
Is it legal for me to open the cover - no its against the law.
Is it legal for me or anyone to drive over the speed limit or be instructed how to do it?

Just my thoughts.
[automerge]1569091992[/automerge]
And my final words.

My surgeon said that he isn't going to tell me any information on my upcoming operation as he is opening the covers and it would be illegal for me to do it myself.

I have some dim recollection there is no requirement to be competent to operate on another person in a fit state to give consent, I think it is illegal to operate on an animal though.

I can see where you're coming from.

But it's just not the case.

I just want to open up the lovely forum to more people than just the usual 50. :)

The other forums are booming. This is getting back there. It was very cliquey a few years ago. They seemed to have something going with GSR that was questionably dodgy. So they always gave other plumbers the boot the moment they could. It tarnished the site a bit. So we need to get that community feel back. But not a cliquey one.

And if that meant losing every sponsor. I'd do that.

But they totally leave me to it. If they wanted to make their own forums to shape those how they want to, they could. But then they become biased and an easy target for independent forums and their users.

So they want it to be constructed the way it naturally would be. I listen to you guys, have a look at what other forums are doing, see what Google can send us traffic for, take a look at what percentage of all plumbing traffic we get here in the UK - And time and time again it just makes sense to open it up to everybody, and see who picks up on it - then shape it for them.

The sponsors don't really get a say at all in the shaping of it. In fact @CorgiDirect has just been left to it since he came on board and I actually feel a bit bad about it!

I've setup advice forums for sponsors on our other forums. And will setup those here too in a couple of weeks. Because we can all be working together a bit better on here to make it something much bigger than it is.

While mentioning goings-ons - Worth thanking the lads who have stood on the door during it's cold nights sorting out bitchy comments and dodgy advertising spam posts and stuff. Thanks people. :)

But we're starting to need more avenues now. We have a lot of unregistered traffic for the amount of new thread we have created. I think the content we've had for years serves us well. But it needs to be used to gain more traffic ongoing really.

Anyway. Not up for discussion right now. :) I'll give you a shout when I'm after some comments from members, like I did with this thread. Which is now off-topic thanks to me lol sorry! :D

Hi Dan, no problems here. Happy to support the forum. I'm pleased that we joined, its been and continues to be really good and your support has been excellent !
[automerge]1569232558[/automerge]
It's CORGI's 50th anniversary next year, so going to be lots of activity on here :)

At the end of the day if householders need advice, guidance or assistance regarding heating plumbing and drain issues UKPF should be their first stop and they should get accurate, on topic, up to date and safe advice. Others in the trade will post as well when they need info or indeed have some info to impart. Its a great forum and will be greater the wider the net is cast more questions, more answers and more shared knowledge. Centralheatking

Reply to DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock