Search the forum,

Discuss DIY advice - saddle clips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Easy (and probably stupid) question. I have to run the pipes for a rad from above on the surface.
I'm intending to run chrome pipes down behind the radiator and into some right angle valves to hide most of the pipework.
Is it ok to use saddle clips to keep the pipes as close to the wall as possible so i can use the shallower rad bracket?

I'm intending to run chrome pipes down behind the radiator and into some right angle valves to hide most of the pipework.

If they being hidden why go to the expense, and complexity of neatly joining, of chrome?

Hi All,

Easy (and probably stupid) question. I have to run the pipes for a rad from above on the surface.
Is it ok to use saddle clips to keep the pipes as close to the wall as possible so i can use the shallower rad bracket?

Yes, I don’t see why not. Are you thinking the chrome ones?

Yes will use chrome ones. Had some chrome Munsen Rings but pipes won’t go behind rad using those.

If they being hidden why go to the expense, and complexity of neatly joining, of chrome?

Well I want chrome pipes down the wall and chrome into the valves, it’s only 500mm wide so not much pipe will go unseen

Chrome pipes actually catch your vision more and are rarely better looking than just using bare copper pipes or casing them in my opinion. Only good in bathrooms for short pipes to towel rails etc
Clipping pipes to wall with saddle clips makes decorating impossible.
Best to install pipes to side of radiator (preferably at corner of wall) using ordinary plastic clips or casings if you prefer.
Soldering is not easy on chrome pipe as chrome has to be removed.
If you are using compression fittings it will look a bodge

Agree with Best, copper pipes in corner of room (box in ply/mdf and decorate to make them disappear), or another favourite is to drop alongside the window (such that pipes are hidden behind curtain whether they are open or closed.)
At home simply have clipped copper painted the same as the walls, never look at it and if any visitors are bored enough to start looking round I’d feel if failed as a host.

Agree use plain copper and either home made or plastic box or even leave them bare and behind the curtains. Make sure though that this is acceptable to her that must be obeyed - that's the biggest hurdle - plumblings a doddle!

Agree with Best, copper pipes in corner of room (box in ply/mdf and decorate to make them disappear), or another favourite is to drop alongside the window (such that pipes are hidden behind curtain whether they are open or closed.)
At home simply have clipped copper painted the same as the walls, never look at it and if any visitors are bored enough to start looking round I’d feel if failed as a host.

Pretty much everything in my Dad's house is copper on the surface like that, clipped to skirting boards and painted same colour as walls/boards where appropriate, very few boxings, a pleasure to work on the system. I grew up in that house and honestly only noticed the plumbing when I became an apprentice and got interested in all things pipework.

However, OP is obviously free to pipe up how they most prefer.

Reply to DIY advice - saddle clips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock