Search the forum,

Discuss Dishwasher suddenly not draining past the u-bend in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

F

Fullpint

Hi - First time poster, hope you can help.

My dishwasher has been in place for about two years and has not had a problem until a few days ago, when I found the dishes in the cupboard full of water.

I emptied the cupboard and turned the dishwasher on, expecting a leak in the hose or the drain pipe. But no - water was gushing out of the grey polypipe and shooting up past the inserted hose.

I checked the u-bend and it's clear. I put a drain snake down and got about 4m in, all ok.

If I take the U-bend off (all the white stuff in the image) and put the dishwasher drain in the end of the grey pipe, it all works fine.

As soon as I put the u-bend back on, water gushes up again. It's like the pump is pumping too hard and the water hits the u-bend too fast and shoots back up.

The pipe is definitely clear as I have poured water in and it never backs up. Not sure what to do now. Thanks for any help.

Image:
Imgur

https://*********/a/0sTaR72 Imgur

IMG_8257.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised that has worked tbh. Something has changed if you say it worked ok for two years so put thinking cap on.

Surprised that has worked tbh. Something has changed if you say it worked ok for two years so put thinking cap on.

It's actually worked for 7 years. New dishwasher 2 years ago. What is surprising about that set up? It was like that when I moved in.

There could be a few reasons why it’s not working.

The drainage pipe from the washer could be full of gunk round the inside of the pipe, this could cause the velocity of the water to speed up and hit the bottom of the u bend and bounce out. The trap could be on a run that has a air admittance valve and that’s stuck and causing a pressure build up in the waste pipes and not allowing the water to flow. The pump could on its way out and for some unknown reason running to fast. There’s still a blockage in the main pipe, yes you said you put a snake down.... but it could’ve slipped down through the 15mm orifice that’s left through it, from hard baked fat/ grease/ soap build up.

Take your pick, it’s one of those

The drainage pipe from the washer could be full of gunk round the inside of the pipe, this could cause the velocity of the water to speed up and hit the bottom of the u bend and bounce out. The trap could be on a run that has a air admittance valve and that’s stuck and causing a pressure build up in the waste pipes and not allowing the water to flow. The pump could on its way out and for some unknown reason running to fast. There’s still a blockage in the main pipe, yes you said you put a snake down.. but it could’ve slipped down through the 15mm orifice that’s left through it, from hard baked fat/ grease/ soap build up.

Pump running too fast ? Don`t think they are variable speed. ;)

The drainage pipe from the washer could be full of gunk round the inside of the pipe, this could cause the velocity of the water to speed up and hit the bottom of the u bend and bounce out. The trap could be on a run that has a air admittance valve and that’s stuck and causing a pressure build up in the waste pipes and not allowing the water to flow. The pump could on its way out and for some unknown reason running to fast. There’s still a blockage in the main pipe, yes you said you put a snake down.. but it could’ve slipped down through the 15mm orifice that’s left through it, from hard baked fat/ grease/ soap build up.

Thanks, yeah I know you're right. It's got to be one of those.

The weird thing is it all works fine if I remove the u-bend and hold the washer drain pipe in the grey down pipe.

Would you recommend putting the snake into the washer drain pipe?!

Pump running too fast ? Don`t think they are variable speed. ;)

If they’re a lower voltage than 240 and the board is failing, there is a possibility of them running faster due to over voltage

Good, do you know what a manhole looks like? On the understanding that even if you don`t St. Google will show you I suggest you go and lift yours. ;)

I'm on the 7th floor, so if my manhole was blocked there would be bigger problems!

I’d be inclined to disconnect that waste pipe run all the way back to the connector on the cast and flush/ clean it out. Make a physical effort to make sure the fast pipe isn’t corroded to the point of blocking the pipe.

I’d be inclined to disconnect that waste pipe run all the way back to the connector on the cast and flush/ clean it out. Make a physical effort to make sure the fast pipe isn’t corroded to the point of blocking the pipe.

That would mean pulling the kitchen apart, which I'm not keen to do! Looks like I'll have to get someone in. Thanks for the suggestions, you've been very helpful.

That would mean pulling the kitchen apart, which I'm not keen to do! Looks like I'll have to get someone in. Thanks for the suggestions, you've been very helpful.

Sometimes that’s what’s involved, welcome to our world

I ran the dishwasher drain through the u-bend so that it feeds directly into the down pipe (after the u-bend). I'm going to guess that's not best practice! But, I've run two dishwasher cycles without issue. Does that help narrow it down? It can be a blocked drain? It must be something to do with the pressure the washer is draining at?

I ran the dishwasher drain through the u-bend so that it feeds directly into the down pipe (after the u-bend). I'm going to guess that's not best practice! But, I've run two dishwasher cycles without issue. Does that help narrow it down? It can be a blocked drain? It must be something to do with the pressure the washer is draining at?
That is half of it. You`ve had the answers both in writing and pictures on page1.
Goodnight.

That is half of it. You`ve had the answers both in writing and pictures on page1.
Goodnight.

Well, I came here for help. I found one guy that tried, and I also found a sanctimonious *****. You know the answer.

Well, I came here for help. I found one guy that tried, and I also found a sanctimonious *****. You know the answer.
I believe I do know the answer ;) and you would too if only you would open your eyes and not blindly follow what you think is right and wrong and just because I chose to lead you to the answer with you doing some work not just take you there does not make me a SP :p

Reply to Dishwasher suddenly not draining past the u-bend in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock