Search the forum,

Discuss Dishwasher Plumbing Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Just trying to figure out if I have the required plumbing for a dishwasher. I had thought all was setup but someone has had a look and given me some doubts.

Couple of photos attached or the plumbing under the sink. Appears the bronze connector would be the water feed but I’m not actually sure how to get water from it, there doesn’t appear any stop valves on the lowest part of it.

Any input would be very helpful!

Thanks

Attachments

• CD6045D8-6149-49C5-BFC1-40E65B74C373.jpeg
    CD6045D8-6149-49C5-BFC1-40E65B74C373.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1DB6F4D2-5ABF-4C29-B8B5-870854D5757B.jpeg
    1DB6F4D2-5ABF-4C29-B8B5-870854D5757B.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
1. It's brass, not bronze,
2. It's a drain off cock, not a dishwasher connection.
3. You need to replace the existing connector, which has the blue hose (washing machine?) attached to it and replace with something like Screwfix 24030. Then connect the washing machine to one outlet, and the dishwasher to the other. You will have to:
3a. Turn the water off at the mains first, or you'll get very wet.
3b. Unscrew the white ribbed nut to remove the washing machine hose. You'll get some residual water so bucket / old cloths.
3c. Unscrew the chrome nut attaching the valve to the pipework.
3d. Fit the new valve. You'll probably have to orient it with the outlets one above the other. You will probably get away with using the old chrome nut, which means you won't have to remove the olive which seals the valve to the pipe. If you can get at it (which I doubt) wrap a few turns of PTFE tape round the olive, not round the threads. This will help the new valve seat on the old olive. If inaccessible, a smear of Jetlube V2 on the mating face of the new valve where it seats on the olive might be helpful.
3e. Turn the valve off, i.e. plastic handle across the inlet, not parallel with it.
3f. Turn the mains on and make sure there are no leaks. Turn mains off again when OK.
3g. Connect the washing machine.
3h. Connect the dishwasher.
3i. Turn mains on again, open valve and check for leaks.
4. Replace the trap with a McAlpine WM11. You might be able to use the capped spigot in the top right hand corner of your photo, but I don't think so. Easier to replace the whole trap.

1. It's brass, not bronze,
2. It's a drain off cock, not a dishwasher connection.
3. You need to replace the existing connector, which has the blue hose (washing machine?) attached to it and replace with something like Screwfix 24030. Then connect the washing machine to one outlet, and the dishwasher to the other. You will have to:
3a. Turn the water off at the mains first, or you'll get very wet.
3b. Unscrew the white ribbed nut to remove the washing machine hose. You'll get some residual water so bucket / old cloths.
3c. Unscrew the chrome nut attaching the valve to the pipework.
3d. Fit the new valve. You'll probably have to orient it with the outlets one above the other. You will probably get away with using the old chrome nut, which means you won't have to remove the olive which seals the valve to the pipe. If you can get at it (which I doubt) wrap a few turns of PTFE tape round the olive, not round the threads. This will help the new valve seat on the old olive. If inaccessible, a smear of Jetlube V2 on the mating face of the new valve where it seats on the olive might be helpful.
3e. Turn the valve off, i.e. plastic handle across the inlet, not parallel with it.
3f. Turn the mains on and make sure there are no leaks. Turn mains off again when OK.
3g. Connect the washing machine.
3h. Connect the dishwasher.
3i. Turn mains on again, open valve and check for leaks.
4. Replace the trap with a McAlpine WM11. You might be able to use the capped spigot in the top right hand corner of your photo, but I don't think so. Easier to replace the whole trap.

Thank you for this, it’s very helpful and I’m definitely out of my depth. Will get someone in now I know it needs a replacement connector.

Reply to Dishwasher Plumbing Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
L
I have a problem with my dishwasher and I’m told there’s an issue with my plumbing. I’m after some help with understanding what the issue is (and what the solution is). My plumbing/appliance arrangement: My dishwasher is plumbed in ‘downstream’ from my sink. They therefore share a pipe to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an issue with the standpipe trap in a 3-year-old flat. This flat came with a fitted dishwasher that has been completely unused for that time – until now... The weekend before last, I thought maybe it was about time I tested it out running empty – it all worked fine and it drained ok...
Replies
Views
Hi guys question about saniflos 💩 I'm working at a property that the entire place was fed off a sani, that's packed up, blocked the line entirely and they've urgently had to get me to replace and make some changes, initially I was going to install a sanivite for the kitchen sink separately...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock