Search the forum,

Discuss Dishwasher draining into sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, just wanted some advice re the configuration of our 1.5 bowl sink waste in a 60cm unit . The dishwasher outlet is to the far left and washing machine to far right. Throughout the dishwasher cycle the dirty water is coming into the 1 bowl sink, which is the pipe immediately next the d/w waste. Having problems uploading an image, sorry. Air loop is quite high so don’t think that’s the issue. The pipe going to the p trap (where d/w, 1 bowl and 0 .5 bowl waste goes down) is on about at a slight slope, about 100 degrees. Thanks

Without a photo try putting dishwasher draining into the search box and see if you can find help there.

Hi, just wanted some advice re the configuration of our 1.5 bowl sink waste in a 60cm unit . The dishwasher outlet is to the far left and washing machine to far right. Throughout the dishwasher cycle the dirty water is coming into the 1 bowl sink, which is the pipe immediately next the d/w waste. Having problems uploading an image, sorry. Air loop is quite high so don’t think that’s the issue. The pipe going to the p trap (where d/w, 1 bowl and 0 .5 bowl waste goes down) is on about at a slight slope, about 100 degrees. Thanks
Without a photo try putting dishwasher draining into the search box and see if you can find help there.

Hopefully the image will help!

Attachments

• 5DDBD55A-0606-4BE6-AC2F-5DDE22F84EDA.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 33
Best place to start is the U-bend just above the drip tray, replace tray with a bucket and run water through one sink at a time as water back flowing is a sign of a blockage.
Personally I would add a jubilee clip to the wash m/c outlet hose like the dishwasher has and try and remove the large U in the hose of the dishwasher hose.

Best place to start is the U-bend just above the drip tray, replace tray with a bucket and run water through one sink at a time as water back flowing is a sign of a blockage.
Personally I would add a jubilee clip to the wash m/c outlet hose like the dishwasher has and try and remove the large U in the hose of the dishwasher hose.
[/QUOTE
Ive
Hopefully the image will help!
Hi, I’ve checked 2 sinks via P-trap and both draining fine. Sorry, previous photo posted was some time ago and d/w air loop is now quite high so shouldn’t be causing an issue. Just discovered washing machine is also draining into sink but to a lesser extent. Just wanted to know if configuration for 1.5 bowl plus d/w and w/m looks ok or if there’s something glaringly wrong that we can change. Thanks again.

You will have a blockage somewhere down stream from wherever you have looked. I assume you have removed the u-bend and that is clear. If so, you will need to investigate the elbows above it to its left, the downpipe to the floor and perhaps beyond. I would take the whole lot down, clean it all, check flow in final downpipe with flow from a hose, then reassemble

You will have a blockage somewhere down stream from wherever you have looked. I assume you have removed the u-bend and that is clear. If so, you will need to investigate the elbows above it to its left, the downpipe to the floor and perhaps beyond. I would take the whole lot down, clean it all, check flow in final downpipe with flow from a hose, then reassemble
Thanks for your reply, I’ll do what you said and give it a go.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll do what you said and give it a go.
Hi, I’ve cleaned u bend and all the pipes above it and they’re all clear so blockage must be further down. The down pipe does a 90 angle as it reaches floor (L shaped bend)and then all pipe work is under suspended floor and goes to front of house, so there’s a good 10 metres of pipe work we can’t access. I’m suspecting blockage might be at the first L bend Can a plunger reach blockages past the u bend? Or would we be better buying a snake? Thanks

Phew10m! Was thinking maybe short bursts from a jet washer but that could blow any fittings apart. Guess it is the snake and loads of hot water once things start flowing away.

Can you disassemble that final bend by pulling grey pipe up with a twisting action gripping elbow then take off elbow off long run? It is possible the block is at that final elbow for a short term fix. A 10 metre run of 40mm pipe is very optimistic (against regulations) and if it has push fit connectors is a bit dodgy to try rodding. I think you need a plumber doing a proper job for that. This is probably an emergency though so a plumber could respond.

Can you disassemble that final bend by pulling grey pipe up with a twisting action gripping elbow then take off elbow off long run? It is possible the block is at that final elbow for a short term fix. A 10 metre run of 40mm pipe is very optimistic (against regulations) and if it has push fit connectors is a bit dodgy to try rodding. I think you need a plumber doing a proper job for that. This is probably an emergency though so a plumber could respond.
Hi, it’s a 70s house, one where they put all the pipe work inside the house rather than outside, insane! To be honest the L bend is really inaccessible so don’t want to mess around with it, so will see if I can get a plumber out instead. Just didn’t know worth it was worth trying to plunge first? I’ve also read about filling a bottle up with hot water and squeezing it quickly to make a kind of jet stream? What are your thoughts?

Reply to Dishwasher draining into sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock