Search the forum,

Discuss Dishes stink from dishwaher especially as weather warms up. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, This is my first forum posting ever so forgive me if I'm not clear. A few years back I put an addition onto my kitchen and ended up moving the sink. It seems that at about that time every once in a while our dishes would smell like sewer. We had a new septic system installed during the renovation. The problem is intermittent but definitely happens much more in warmer weather. I'm wondering if my plumbing job created the problem as we don't recall it happening prior to the reno. I've cleaned the mesh filter cup even though it was pretty clean. Here is a picture. The air vent goes though the wall and hooks up with a main vent. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Tom

Attachments

• sink 4.JPG
    sink 4.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to say it's not plumbed vey well food debris can easily build up in the pipework the trap arrangement is quite shallow when the dishwasher pumps out it stirs up all the gunk in the pipework causing the bad odours , washing soda is a great quick fix run some through your machine it will help clean out the machine and pipework , a re pipe might be the way to go with seperate drainage for your appliance. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-065512.png
    Screenshot_20210413-065512.png
    777.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210413-064954.png
    Screenshot_20210413-064954.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210413-064752.png
    Screenshot_20210413-064752.png
    799.8 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to say it's not plumbed vey well food debris can easily build up in the pipework the trap arrangement is quite shallow when the dishwasher pumps out it stirs up all the gunk in the pipework causing the bad odours , washing soda is a great quick fix run some through your machine it will help clean out the machine and pipework , a re pipe might be the way to go with seperate drainage for your appliance. Kop
Kop, Thanks for the quick reply. I will change the trap into a longer one. Is there anything else in my set-up that should be altered ? Would it be better if I added an air gap instead of venting to the existing pipe ?

Ok. Just for clarity, I should put a trap on each sink ? Can I still hook the washer's drain to one of the sinks as I have set up now ?
You can but to be honest theres to many bends and to much pipe work a 11/2 bowl mcalpine waste kit would work if you're struggling.

KOP, Just wanted to let you know the washing soda worked immediately. I am still planning on redoing the plumbing based on your suggestion but just wanted to say thanks for the quick fix.

Hi, Need some more help. I had a plumber install new drain (see picture) and two days later the same sewer like smell returned to our dishes. he did not hook the old air vent back up but instead put a small mini vent . Any other ideas ? Thanks

Attachments

• new plumb.JPG
    new plumb.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Dishes stink from dishwaher especially as weather warms up. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock