Search the forum,

Discuss Dishes stink from dishwaher especially as weather warms up. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, This is my first forum posting ever so forgive me if I'm not clear. A few years back I put an addition onto my kitchen and ended up moving the sink. It seems that at about that time every once in a while our dishes would smell like sewer. We had a new septic system installed during the renovation. The problem is intermittent but definitely happens much more in warmer weather. I'm wondering if my plumbing job created the problem as we don't recall it happening prior to the reno. I've cleaned the mesh filter cup even though it was pretty clean. Here is a picture. The air vent goes though the wall and hooks up with a main vent. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Tom

Attachments

• sink 4.JPG
    sink 4.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to say it's not plumbed vey well food debris can easily build up in the pipework the trap arrangement is quite shallow when the dishwasher pumps out it stirs up all the gunk in the pipework causing the bad odours , washing soda is a great quick fix run some through your machine it will help clean out the machine and pipework , a re pipe might be the way to go with seperate drainage for your appliance. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-065512.png
    Screenshot_20210413-065512.png
    777.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210413-064954.png
    Screenshot_20210413-064954.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210413-064752.png
    Screenshot_20210413-064752.png
    799.8 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to say it's not plumbed vey well food debris can easily build up in the pipework the trap arrangement is quite shallow when the dishwasher pumps out it stirs up all the gunk in the pipework causing the bad odours , washing soda is a great quick fix run some through your machine it will help clean out the machine and pipework , a re pipe might be the way to go with seperate drainage for your appliance. Kop
Kop, Thanks for the quick reply. I will change the trap into a longer one. Is there anything else in my set-up that should be altered ? Would it be better if I added an air gap instead of venting to the existing pipe ?

Hi, Need some more help. I had a plumber install new drain (see picture) and two days later the same sewer like smell returned to our dishes. he did not hook the old air vent back up but instead put a small mini vent . Any other ideas ? Thanks

Attachments

• new plumb.JPG
    new plumb.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Dishes stink from dishwaher especially as weather warms up. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
N
Hi I've had a new bathroom plumbed and an en suite in the room next door. All new plumbing to the outside sewer along one wall, plumber had free reign on making it work as there were a couple of obstacles - a chimney breast in the bathroom that the toilets are in front of and an RSJ over a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hi, Im hoping someone could give me some advice please. I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I'm posting incorrectly or in the wrong place. I am looking for advice on my neighbours bathroom waste pipe. I'll try to explain this as best as I can. Our neighbours house is set forward from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock