Search the forum,

Discuss Disconnected water inlet valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I recently had a new kitchen fitted and it appears that the old cold water inlet valves (one pipe with 2 blue T valves connectors for old d/w and w/m) have been left in situ without being capped off.

I’m very worried that they’ll leak, especially as they don’t have a cap on them. Problem is the guy who fitted kitchen turned out to be a cowboy and there’s no chance we can get him or want him back to rectify.

The pipe work is behind an integrated washing machine which will be nion impossible to remove I’m led to believe. I just wanted advice on whether they should be ok as they are with the blue valves in the off position or should we try to remedy if at all possible. Thanks

No, you are not worrying unnecessarily. Utilities should not be isolated long term against a closed valve unless the downstream outlet is also physically and effectively capped.

Even an occasional drip from an open ended water isolation valve can cause a lot of damage.

Follow Townfanjon’s advice.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is the pipe in question, the hot one was capped off years ago but this is how I think it’s been left behind washing machine. I’m not sure what a downstream outlet is?

Attachments

• 7E8B05FF-CA29-4A84-B142-75B54054E6BA.jpeg
    7E8B05FF-CA29-4A84-B142-75B54054E6BA.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 14
The integrated appliance will come out and may need to in the future for repair.
As above valves need sorting, if not you may have to get the Washing machine out to fix any leak.

The worst it could be is the kitchen unit plinth has been put across the W, Machine front in one piece and then floor tiles put down after up against that.
The plinth will need cutting if that's the case.

It may be possible to cut and cap the pipe leading to the valves without removing the Washng Machine.

Last edited:
Thanks snowhead, this is a photo of the w/m in situ and the pipes are below where electric sockart is so I think we’ll have to remove w/m to get to it to cap them off. The plinth is siliconed in and has a small gap running below drawer unit. Should I just cut silicone and try to pull plinth off?

Attachments

• A8B9F6AA-F2DD-4CA5-947A-BB65FE590FE6.jpeg
    A8B9F6AA-F2DD-4CA5-947A-BB65FE590FE6.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for your reply but getting the W/m out is going to be very difficult as it’s integrated and has no room for maneovre, just wondered if I was worryingly unnecessarily or not.
Its a dam nusiance but you will have to cap off, just simple caps with the rubber insert, you might get them by hand as they do not to be really hard down the rubber bit will do the rest, or a basin wrench will get there. centralheatking

Hi, thanks for the reply. This is the pipe in question, the hot one was capped off years ago but this is how I think it’s been left behind washing machine. I’m not sure what a downstream outlet is?

Hello Drew,

What / where is the new Washing machine connected to now - regarding the cold water fill and the waste water - is there a new water supply and waste connection adjacent the machine ?

I am asking this because You might also have a problem with the old Washing machine waste pipe if the new machine is not connected to it / it has not been capped off - regarding the trap drying up and sewer gases / bacteria / germs indicated by bad smells coming into your Kitchen at some point in the near future - depending upon how long it took for the trap seal water to evaporate.

Chris

Reply to Disconnected water inlet valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have recently moved into a village house and discovered some mold on the wall behind the kitchen unit and following a closer inspection, I am concerned about the water inlet and its entry point. There is a hole in what I think is the original floor, with some loose rock etc around the water...
Replies
Views
Hi My washing machine is 5m away from the water mains copper pipe/valve. I've currently got a long blue inlet hose connecting the washing machine to the copper pipe/valve. Is this OK or should I get more copper pipe added and then use a shorter blue in let hose to connect the 2?
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
Dear all, We were disconnected by our gas supplier. We have no managed to find the money to clear the bill. They have told us it will take 10 days to reconnect us. There is a vulnerable old person in the house and we have no heating or hot water. Also we are worried that the pipes will freeze...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is when the neighbours roughly started. Severn Trent were doing bits and bobs out in the street back then but this is probably a coincidence. Our water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock