Search the forum,

Discuss Discoloured water in toilet pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The en-suite toilet is around 10 years old and has had no problems previously. However, a few days ago the water in the pan becomes discoloured about half an hour after it has been flushed.

The flush is strong and the water in the pan immediately after the flush is clear.

This problem is not occurring in either the bathroom or cloakroom toilets.

I have also flushed with washing up liquid and a bucket of hot water, but this has not cured the problem.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Are any other bathrooms connected into the soil pipework?

Has any work been done in the area by the water company ? they could be cleaning water main, look in cistern to see if any sediment in bottom

Thanks for the replies.

Chalked - it looks as if the cloakroom and en-suite share the same soil pipe and the bathroom has its own.

Jtsplumbing - I'm not aware of any work going on in the area and the cistern does not contain sediment.

Regards

Brown water? Only ask as I get this when the pipe from toilet to Saniflo is overly long and the waste matter hasn`t reached the Saniflo macerator.

PS. Don`t forget to log in when you reply to a post.

PPS. Welcome to the forum.

Hi RPM,

Thanks for the reply.

It is a weak brownish colour but I don't think the problem is being caused by the construction of the system as it has worked perfectly for 10 years.

It's fed from the mains.

The last flush was about 4 hours ago I can see now see a sediment starting to form on the floor of the trap.

Try filling a large glass jug from mains water , leave undisturbed for the same amount of time, if you get the same result then contact your water supplier, and get water tested. do you have a old lead or iron water main coming into the house ??

Thanks for the suggestion.

Water left in a glass does not become discoloured.

The house is about 25 yrs old and so does not have old lead or iron water main.

I've used a drain brush and managed to get it through the u-bend and into the soil pipe, so there is no blockage there.

Still getting discolouration.

Guess it`s time to remove the pan then and have a look behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Discoloured water in toilet pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I installed a wall hung toilet pan in my last house which did not flush well when disposing of waste solids. The water would rise up to the rim then dissipate and usually required further flushing to complete the disposal. I don't recall the brand but the wall mounting frame was...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the night so I fitted a simple pull cord swith to turn it off at night About a month ago I recently had a blockage so pulled it apart and cleaned everything...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock