Search the forum,

Discuss Direct unvented cylinder - warm water only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jon2t

Any ideas....??????
I have a unvented direct cylinder 150l (electric only on economy 7) I have 2 elements both appear hot to touch when on but I'm getting only slightly warm water through shower, bathroom & kitchen sink...???

You really should be G3 qualified before attempting repairs or servicing on this appliance.

I would suggest that you check to see how long it is on for and that the timer is working correctly. Also a photograph of set up may help establish if there are eternal components which may be at fault like a TMV ?

Don't mess with the cylinder you may get toasted

Last edited by a moderator:
Back feed of cold though a mixer tap or shower ?? If you can turn balanced cold off & run hot taps, see if it then runs hot, if so it needs investigating further to find out where the cross is.

If it only comes out slightly warm still it is the immersion heaters.

Don't be temped to work on these unless you have your Part G ticket, they can go BANG !!

Last edited:
Thanks for advise, I have now called out a qualified plumber on unvented cylinders (on a Sunday ÂŁÂŁÂŁ) but need to get it fixed ASAP.
Any more advice from you qualified G3 unvented cylinders engineers would much appreciate to help diagnose the fault.

Thanks for advise, I have now called out a qualified plumber on unvented cylinders (on a Sunday ÂŁÂŁÂŁ) but need to get it fixed ASAP.
Any more advice from you qualified G3 unvented cylinders engineers would much appreciate to help diagnose the fault.
Why can't it wait to week days ? nice day, cool shower !!!

Where are you based ?

Hot sweaty night & not cool but flippin freezing plus can't get out of meetings tomorrow :(
I have had this unvented cylinder 10 years.
I had probs 16months (dripping tundish) ago & new expansion vessel, T&P valve & PRV was fitted.
A few pics if it helps...???
Apart from the fault 16 months ago this has been fantastic & reliable (ultrasteel 150l).
Upminster, Essex

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You defo need an unvented engineer. Think you may have two expansion Telefonica valves and no tprv! Can u upload a picture of the red valve head on the cylinder .

The immersion heaters ones specified by manufacturer?

Ok it's the correct valve head. Looked remarkably similar to the wrong one. I think that it's best left to your guy as the internet, speculation and lack of experience = danger

Blimey jon, it may be the picture, but that shelf looks a little on the bowed side to me, theres potentially 180 kilos on that shelf.
IMO it should be on the floor. Sorry !!!

I agree it's not supported well.

Problem with calling an engineer out on a Sunday is he/ she is unlikely to have any parts on the van and no where to fetch them from either.

The guy thinks it maybe the shower cylinder valve, he thinks it maybe the cold water pushing back into the hot water....???
Not sure if that would affect the bathroom & kitchen sinks....????

Ok so 2hrs later he found out that if he turned off the hot water, then turned on the hot tap water still came out...???
Disconnected shower & capped off cold pipe then no hot water came out of bathroom & kitchen sinks.
Turn on hot water & now get hot water from kitchen & bathroom sink.
Fault is the shower cylinder.....!!!!!
ÂŁ225 inc Vat to find & diagnose fault on Sunday although couldn't sort out.
Now need to source cylinder for shower....!!!!!!

I was told the price before ÂŁ95 an hour plus vat & he was here for full 2hrs working on a Sunday, I wasn't moaning about price just thought I'd mention it.
He found the fault & advised me what to buy & how to fit to keep costs down.

As previously mentioned on several occasions Jon, don't mess with it yourself, these things are potentially lethal!

Id be putting a little more support under that cylinder - anything
Price doesn't sound too bad for a Sunday if you're happy.
I know companies 'up north' who'll charge more than that and not even solve the fault

No professional in their right mind should be giving you information to fit the parts yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direct unvented cylinder - warm water only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the cylinder? Thanks
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock