Search the forum,

Discuss Did work on plumbers advice that did not work, ask for refund? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I need advice from experienced plumbers please, I got my bathroom done a few weeks ago, the job was done but the detail was very poor. I had to repaint what the builder had already done as the previous paint was coming though, one side of the tile had not been siliconed so you could see behind it to the bare wall. Anyway, I left it and did Not say anything as I am too soft and the builder and plumber worked hard for 2 days.

Once the bathroom was done the shower pressure dropped. We’ve always struggled with water pressure but I think this was due to a bigger shower head. We asked the plumber what our options were and he said we would need to fit a pump, I asked him if this would definitely work (we had other issues as we went along so I wanted him to be sure before we started/do any investigations as my budget was already stretched) and he said of course.

Plumber came for Just under two hours and said bad news, you need to replace the cylinder. I stupidly paid him as it was on the spot. Later the builder text me to say - ‘thanks for paying me even though the job wasn't completed but i will definitely take this money of the next job.’

Now this virus has hit, we are not being paid for now and we went over budget on our bathroom so cannot afford to do anything further. He has also said we have got the wrong pump, even though he adviseus to buy that exact one,

should the plumber have known that there might be a problem before he set out to say so confidently the pump would work?

should I ask for all or part of the money back? Grateful for your advice.

Can I ask what he said was wrong with the original cylinder?
He said the pump was pushing the water back into the cylinder and that the older cylinder did not have valves which he could/would close and that installing a newer one would mean the water would go directly to the shower so there would be no
Loss of pressure.
[automerge]1585315238[/automerge]
Some pictures would help
Sorry The issue is with the pump cylinder which I cannot provide a picture for as the issue is not visible to the eye. The paint and silicone was just an example which makes me wonder if these guys are just not very observant

Hi,

I need advice from experienced plumbers please, I got my bathroom done a few weeks ago, the job was done but the detail was very poor. I had to repaint what the builder had already done as the previous paint was coming though, one side of the tile had not been siliconed so you could see behind it to the bare wall. Anyway, I left it and did Not say anything as I am too soft and the builder and plumber worked hard for 2 days.

Once the bathroom was done the shower pressure dropped. We’ve always struggled with water pressure but I think this was due to a bigger shower head. We asked the plumber what our options were and he said we would need to fit a pump, I asked him if this would definitely work (we had other issues as we went along so I wanted him to be sure before we started/do any investigations as my budget was already stretched) and he said of course.

Plumber came for Just under two hours and said bad news, you need to replace the cylinder. I stupidly paid him as it was on the spot. Later the builder text me to say - ‘thanks for paying me even though the job wasn't completed but i will definitely take this money of the next job.’

Now this virus has hit, we are not being paid for now and we went over budget on our bathroom so cannot afford to do anything further. He has also said we have got the wrong pump, even though he adviseus to buy that exact one,

should the plumber have known that there might be a problem before he set out to say so confidently the pump would work?

The word Builder doing a bathroom
Hi,

Usually on PF the words Builder and Plumbing or Heating are always trouble. There are good builders but we only pick up the bad stuff. Often the builder does most of the pipework and gets a tame plumber in to check it. There are a lot of unknowns here. The job seems unfinished and inadequate, did you get a reciept or a quotation written down ? Get them to reply by email and maybe they will put their foot in it. Also you ought to give them the option of returning to put things right. I must say tho in the present economic climate unless these fellas are honourable they will hang on to your money at least in the short term. Others will ask you pertinent questions. Centralheatking

He said the pump was pushing the water back into the cylinder and that the older cylinder did not have valves which he could/would close and that installing a newer one would mean the water would go directly to the shower so there would be no
Loss of pressure.
[automerge]1585315238[/automerge]

Sorry The issue is with the pump cylinder which I cannot provide a picture for as the issue is not visible to the eye. The paint and silicone was just an example which makes me wonder if these guys are just not very observant

Sounds like hes having you on. If the pump is installed to manufacturers guidelines and the rest of the system is installed correctly then theres no reason the right pump wont work.

Must be able to put pics up of the pump and cylinder install!

Also with the rest of the bathroom install, will give some idea if they knew what they were doing.

Must be able to put pics up of the pump and cylinder install!

Also with the rest of the bathroom install, will give some idea if they knew what they were doing.

there is no picture to put up because he installed the pump and then reinstalled.The old cylinder has not been touched.

bathroom is fine now, it was just a bit of background.
[automerge]1585329821[/automerge]
Can someone just tell me if It is reasonable for mw to Ask for the should ask for the money back? He came for just under two hours, installed pump then removed it and told us cylinder needs replacing. I asked him prior to all of this work if it would work - he said definitely. Now I’ve got nothing to show for it and am out of pocket.

My Response to the 5:20 message is still pending approval by this site.
I agree it’s becoming Hard work, I keep repeating myself but it’s difficult to explain via writing.

thank you for those who took the time to
Reply! I will be asking him to return the money as NOTHING has been done other than the plumber giving me a guarantee the pump would work and then it not working and then identifying another problem with the cylinder being too old- which I assume could have been investigated beforehand(yes they had the opportunity to do so) by any decent plumber.
Thanks again

I do apologise for the late approval I was out tonight

No pump or cylinder has been installed so what pictures would you like?

Genuinely do not know what you’re asking as the old cylinder-has not been touched by plumber.
Nothing has been installed

Cant understand what you are asking then. Pump was installed, but taken back out.
You've paid them money, but what have you actually paid for?
How about a picture of the cylinder so we can see if there are any issues with it!!
From what I can gather you want somebody to say that you've been mugged off and should have your money back. It doesn't work like that.

Cant understand what you are asking then. Pump was installed, but taken back out.
You've paid them money, but what have you actually paid for?
How about a picture of the cylinder so we can see if there are any issues with it!!
From what I can gather you want somebody to say that you've been mugged off and should have your money back. It doesn't work like that.
No, I don’t want to ask for the money back if I’m wrong, I’d like to hear from plumbers if they genuinely think that this guy is owed part or all of the money. That is why I joined and posted this.
I don’t think they mugged me off, I think the builder gave me a guarantee without knowing for sure and they aren’t very observant.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will leave it up to him as to whether he will return all or part or any of the money. It was my fault for paying him without having a Conversation with him first.
Thanks

Very hard to follow your post Tina.

What exactly did you pay the plumber for on this occasion?
What payment was the builder referring to?

Have you paid out an amount for something you haven't had done?

Reply to Did work on plumbers advice that did not work, ask for refund? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock