Search the forum,

Discuss DHW Secondary Circulation Control Strategy in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone,
thought I'd pick your brains on some ideas I have for controlling a DHW secondary circulation pump circuit that I'll be installing as part of a new build. The DHW supply will consist of an Air-Water Heat Pump source linked to an unvented cylinder (at mains pressure). Never had the need to do secondary recirculation before, but understand the basic control using timer and temperature sensor on the return flowpipe. However, 2 scenarios exist which, as much as I looked, cannot find any posts that point to an efficient solution. I've got ideas, but don't know whether they have hidden (or unthought of) issues, or whether there is a more elegant solution to cover them. So, I am looking for feedback on these:

Scenario 1 - 'The 3am Bathroom Call'. Outside of the timer/pump being on, how to minimize draw off time (and associated wasted water)? I'm thinking to install a simple flow sensor in the outflow of the cylinder which would switch on the pump (assuming temperature in return flow is below limit). My thinking is that it would pull some of the 'cold' water past the outlet tap at the same time that the tap is emptying into the sink and hence reduce the time/water waste before hot water reaches the tap. Not the perfect solution, but with the pump pulling between 1 - 2 l/s there should be a noticeable improvement, shouldn't there?

Scenario 2 - 'The Family Sunday Morning Church Outing'. Simply put, how to control the system when the hot water cylinder is emptied of hot water e.g. multiple baths/showers at the same time. If the water temperature in the cylinder is below the limit, then the return flow temperature will never reach the pump's switch off point. So the system will continually recirculate tepid water. Therefore I'm thinking to add a second cylinder thermostat (or branch off existing?) that would switch off the recirc pump until the desired temp is reached.

Hope my explanations are understandable enough and look forward to your wise words...

Thanks,
Stephen

Use a pir in each bathroom to control the src

as for running out of hot water you should size your system for max demand

can’t use plastic pipe on a secondary return circuit so no speedfit or hep or etc

Use a pir in each bathroom to control the src

as for running out of hot water you should size your system for max demand

can’t use plastic pipe on a secondary return circuit so no speedfit or hep or etc
Thanks Shaun,
I'd thought about PIRs, but discounted it on costs and complexity - 6 PIRs/wiring vs 1 Hall sensor next to the pump.

Regarding the capacity, it will be sized for max demand, but I can envisage a scenario whereby the tank is almost emptied (think a bath and 2 showers run at the same time). The pump will then be circulating tepid water until the heat pump rebuilds the core temp (I'm told this can take over an hour for a 250l tank). So I'm thinking it better to disengage the pump until the cylinder is back to temp.

The hall sensor won’t come on as no one has walked past it ??

Will your water mains cope with around 50lpm draw off ? So min water mains pressure and flow 6 bar and around 50lpm dynamic

also set the system up for priority hot water 400l around 30-40 mins heat up from cold

have you had a word with your plumber / heating engineer as he should be designing a system for your needs ?

Do you really need hot water for the occasional 3am bathroom visit?

Time your hot water for a boost during peak use age and you shouldn’t run out.

The hall sensor won’t come on as no one has walked past it ??

Will your water mains cope with around 50lpm draw off ? So min water mains pressure and flow 6 bar and around 50lpm dynamic

also set the system up for priority hot water 400l around 30-40 mins heat up from cold

have you had a word with your plumber / heating engineer as he should be designing a system for your needs ?
Shaun,
Hall Effect Flow Sensor :)

Not sure I would have the mains pressure to run them all simultaneously, but it should easily cope with 2 showers. Hence running a bath and then after that 2 showers together would be a distinct possibility in a 5 bed house. Eventually the hot water will run out; I'm just trying to think of a way to having the recirc pump running unneccesarily

Have you got one in mind as it would need to be 1”bsp connections

wouldn’t run out if it’s constantly reheating

A Hall effect flow meter / sensor ?

A Hall effect flow meter / sensor ?
yes - you can pick up a 1" Hall sensor with brass body and stainless steel impeller for about £12
1618173728390.png

Needs to be wras approved as it’s on mains water as that’s likely to have lead in it

Hi Stephen - I have a 300L Vailant auroSTOR solar cylinder and similar situation to your Scenario 2 I was thinking of installing a flow sensor and a thermostat so that the DHW circulation pump would only run when i) the timed control is in an on phase, ii) the cylinder was at a specified temp and iii) water was being drawn from the cylinder.

Have you implemented a solution are you pleased with it?
Thanks

Reply to DHW Secondary Circulation Control Strategy in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it will show an error, 60 degree, pump or flow. Well switch the tap off wait maybe fifteen seconds turn tap on and low and behold hot water. If after a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
J
Need advice on secondary return issue. When secondary return pump is running no hot water flows from hot taps.when pump off the taps work. Anyone come across this before?? Appreciate any reply
Replies
Views
JohnyC
J
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock