Search the forum,

Discuss Descaling unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

clemda1

Gas Engineer
Hia guys I have a 300l unvented hot water cylinder not getting up to temperature.
Primary Flow into the coilis coming in at approx 70deg but water temperature is not getting above 40deg. Cylinder is over 10years no scale reduction so Im guessing the coil is scaled or sediment build up is preventing heat exchange working efficiently.

Customer is not in a position financially to replace the unit so I suggested a descaling using fernox ds3 (recommended by plumbing merchant)

I haven’t done this before. My intention is to first drain the cylinder and wet vac out as much scale as I can manually. While isolating the cylinder from the rest of the house use the back up immersion to get the cylinder up to temperature for a few hours. Then thoroughly cleaning by filling and draining 4-5times then running the hot water out of all outlts for good 10mins to ensure all the acid is removed.

Just wondering if this sounds like a viable plan and if anyone has experience with it.

What will be your costs of doing all the works versus replacing the cylinder coil.
Drain the cylinder at the time of coil replacement and clean the cylinder that way - then no chemicals

New cylinder for me aswell

But to descale it fill it full with ds3 bad stuff be careful if it’s limesca

Or x800 if it’s a layer of sludge

Also the outside of the coil could be insulated with limescale if your in a hard water area

What will be your costs of doing all the works versus replacing the cylinder coil.
Drain the cylinder at the time of coil replacement and clean the cylinder that way - then no chemicals
Are you saying it’s possible to replace the internal coil on
Can you test the water to ensure chemicals are removed?
What if you do all the and it doesn’t fix the issue?
Was planning on testing ph before and after for confirmation all the acid was removed also can use a neutraliser if required.
New cylinder for me aswell

But to descale it fill it full with ds3 bad stuff be careful if it’s limesca

Or x800 if it’s a layer of sludge

Also the outside of the coil could be insulated with limescale if your in a hard water area
When you say sludge inside a hot water cylinder and you elaborate please. I was planning on wet vacuuming out most what I could prior to introducing the acid.

Last edited:
From my experience an indirect unvented cylinder will not be suffering from scale unless the domestic side has been run at higher temperatures >65 degC but if you wanted to check why not drain it & remove the immersion to inspect the inside.
It is more likely that the problem is with the water flow through the coil. You say the flow was 70C but what was the return ? and much more importantly did you feel the temperature of the hot water outlet directly off the cylinder ??
At 40 degC at the taps this if much more likely to be cross flow from a mixer, I have even had them pushing cold water back down the hot close to the cylinder.

With the symptoms you’ve described, I wouldn’t be looking at the cylinder. Possible but unlikely.

Ideally you need 1 or 2 pipe thermometers, confirm boiler/cylinder flow/return.

Confirm cylinder outlet temp. Confirm temps at outlets while in use.

I’d be looking for a cross over. Cold getting into the hot. Usually I find them at thermostatic showers but anything thermostatic could cause it. New cartridge solves the issue.

Id check to see if it has a sacrificial anode on the cylinder to see if the flush is ok for that or maybe it need replacing to prevent further build up.

Reply to Descaling unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Is there a definitive answer to this? We have a stainless steel everflo unvented cylinder hooked up to a Worcester Bosch boiler, and are thinking of getting a water softener as were in quite a hard water area. I've looked around, but can't seem to find a clear answer as to whether a water...
Replies
Views
I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal. I want to keep my existing valiant condensing boiler. I currently have a vented set up. A couple of plumbers said this could work. Will the feed and expansion tank for the central...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock