Search the forum,

Discuss Decorative TRV Caps? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Does anyone know a good source for decorative chrome TRV replacement caps?

I'm slowly working my way through a property, putting all the rads on to a manifold system with local thermostats, manifold flow meters, adjustment for balancing and electrical actuators for each room. So the TRV heads now need to come off and be replaced by something just to acts as a decorative cap. Not the service cap type that closes the valve, but something that will leave it fully open without looking an eyesore. Replacing them with chrome lockshields is a non-starter, the old valves need to stay.

I know I've seen them somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where? I imagine soemwehre like B&Q will ahve them but they'll cost a fortune for a bit of shiny plastic.

Change the trvs for lockshield only way im afraid also less chance of them leaking later on

As per original question - changing isn't an option. Not sure what the leak issue is, but there's more chance of a leak with a changed valve on old olives, I would have thought.

May I ask why it isn’t an option ?

Of course you may ask.
  • Reason 1 - I've got better things to do with my time than part drain as necessary and replace valves on 17 rads, even if I could get locksheilds to match the existing ones on the other side.
  • Reason 2 - Most of the valves are corner style, exiting from the wall and pipework is plastered in, also many are big & beefy column rads not your average Stelrad jobbie. Most are too tight to wall and rad to get an olive splitter in place. So replacing valves is not a five minute job (see reason 1) and my knees and back no longer need the hassle.
  • Reason 3 - Why shell out for a load of new chrome lockshields and risk new leaks (see reason 2) when a chrome cap will do the job?
[automerge]1582236424[/automerge]
Gasmk - yeah, thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that and it's the fallback option but if at all possible I'd prefer to make it look a bit crisper.

Good luck as to my knowledge they don’t make anything that looks nice only option is something like this but good luck as it might not fit as nothing’s standised

Hear you go these may fit if you have got time to order em 😂 kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221-061744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200221-061744_Chrome.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 16
They look like decorator caps but if they press the valve stalk I'd just trim it down.
That might be a problem in future when the place needs decorating or maintenance is needed. Could you remove the guts from the existing chrome caps so that they never closed? Alternatively, drill a small blind hole in the decorator cap so it no longer presses on the pin.

Reply to Decorative TRV Caps? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

TRV valve won't fit...Have to replace a TRV valve..thought I'd just relace the head and save on the messing about.. Bought a standard 15mm replacement..went to screw the head replacement on..thread is not standard..inside diameter is approx 1 mm smaller!! See photo attached. Went back to b and q...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we had underfloor heating installed about 15 years ago. Some of the actuator valves are now leaking and we need to replace them. I'm trying to source some that fit. The plastic caps which came with the originals had the 'Watts' brand on. I've tried ordering a couple of the most common valves...
Replies
Views
I have recently replaced all fourteen Stelrad radiators eight singles four doubles and two chrome towel radiators on small bore 10 mm piping in my four bedroom detached house.The Grundfoss pump is ten years old and sounds good .no bearing rumble.The Ideal classic ff 350 boiler is twenty years...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding the diverter on my bathroom taps. Please see attached picture. The diverter lever is very stiff and difficult to move, so I want to remove it but I have never serviced these types pf taps before so am not certain what is inside. So, my first question...
Replies
Views
This is a weird one, for sure... I had an old Vaillant combi replaced by a new Worcester Greenstar 4000 by Boxt. It was as simple a job as you can imagine - direct replacement... my house is a simple 2 up 2 down semi - nothing remotely complicated. However for the last two months since it was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock