Search the forum,

Discuss Decommissioning/purging advice. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,
I've weirdly had two small kind of commercial decommission jobs come in today and i dont do this stuff much. At some point I've had every ticket going but as I don't have a good memory or the time to look it up right now.
I was hoping one of you guys could just shoot some answers off the hip.
When doing little bits I wouldn't bother with any formal purging either with gas or air but one of these is leaving behind 2m of 1" and about 12m of 3/4" iron in a large warehouse
and the other is about 3m of 2" and about 20m of 22mm In an old kebab shop.
The kebab shop has also asked for meter to be capped and left disconnected from install pipework ready for provider to remove meter.
What's the right way to leave meter and should there be some kind of purge with air or nitrogen?
Thanks

Gas to air purging normally adds on around £400 to hire the kit etc

So upto customer’s the first one in the warehouse should be fine unless there h and s wants you to do it and record etc

The second one

The same I would look at this one carefully as depending on what’s around eg complaint of the smell of gas etc providing it’s well ventilated you will be fine

Disc the inlet of the meter and cap the outlet normally

I usually get by with standards subscription on gassafe site but it's just expired and I'm not keen on renewing untill I need to.

I've already done the warehouse one which was just to remove a run to a couple of radiant tubes.
I capped by meter and removed section of pipe that was in small space, then just opened up all the ends to allow it to dissipate in warehouse and left for site maintenance to remove later.

Kebab shop is a bit iffy coz of the 2" and u16 meter. As I'm not disconnecting meter then I don't need to include its volume but I recon a couple of meters of 2" puts me in tpcp1a for size and volume.
Every bit of common sense tells me it's fine to cap meter and chop up 2" (to remove evidence) but as I don't have a valid tpcp1a or 1 and especially because I have had both - it leaves me in a bit of a sticky spot...?

As it’s 2” and you don’t have com sorry but it’s a no

I know your right but it's frustrating, like the time they told me I couldn't service a patio heater because my completely full card didn't include the (then brand new) leisure ticket.

There's no way round the 2" - I'll sub it out.

Reply to Decommissioning/purging advice. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock