Search the forum,

Discuss Decommissioning cylinder coil on wet solar system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello Everyone,

I have customer with solar that doesn't seem to be working so only gets 1/2 a tank of hot water which is heated by the central heating system. She can't find a company to come out and service the wet solar system and she is looking at getting loft conversion in the future will likely get the solar removed.

She would like me to cap the solar coil going into the cylinder and pipe the bottom coil into the heating also so she can get a full tank of hot water, is it just a simple case of looping out the solar pipework before the coil?? I am concerned about the solar not having any source to dump its heat if it gets hot?? Also I know the solar has anti freeze in it, how much water should I get roughly from a system and what is the proper procedure to get rid of this water??

look forward to your replies

Thanks

You should be able to loop the solar coil with the heating coil in parallel.
I would just drain the solar system and leave it open if not in use.

As for the anti-freeze, it would be food grade anti-freeze - not poisonous, so you should be able to dispose of the liquid down the sewer.

Done many systems where the boiler has been connected to the heating coil and solar coil in the tank - connected in parallel, without any detriment.

Thanks Oz, yeah I have bought solar compatible cylinders and piped them up twin coils in the past so customer has option of getting solar in future.

I was just concerned about disposing of the anti freeze and also whether it would be dangerous or have any ill affect on the solar panels not having any liquid in them

Thanks for your help

Reply to Decommissioning cylinder coil on wet solar system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock