Search the forum,

Discuss Dealing with customers who wont pay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
You cant avoid them in any trade, but how do you deal with the awkward dishonest people who - even after a fantastic job refuse to pay you?
I would be interested to know about peoples encounters with these people, and weather or not there is any way of avoiding them.

make sure they read your terms & conditions, sign and agree any paperwork quotes etc.
or get past on to a collection agency.

Some people get off by ripping honest tradesmen off I'm afraid. I always ask for material costs (sometimes up to a grand depending on the job) up front.

A collection agency?
I've never heard of one, I take it they collect from your 'customer' and they take a percentage?

As a self employed sole trader for 30 years, my father had problems 4 times. Each time, he took the customer to the small claims court and won every time. More often than not, if you have an awkward customer, just the threat of court is enough.

It is recommeded as stated above that you ensure that before carrying out any work you draw up a basic agreement. This can be a basic method statement if you wish which can cover the cost of labour and materials etc and timeframes and working practises. GET the customer to sign the agreement and you should be fine.

All of my fathers court visits were due to no paperwork being signed etc.

Hope that helps

Some great advice there guys :)

It happened to me once where they guy was trying to turn me into a handy man, after I fitted a power shower in his en suit, then tiled it.

Just because I had a tool box of spanners etc, he though I was up for any work around his house that needed done. When I refused, he threatened not to pay me for the shower/tiling that I had done.

The fact that I then took photos of my work and threatened him with the small claims court as I walked off soon persuaded him to cough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dealing with customers who wont pay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock