Search the forum,

Discuss Damsel in distress: Advice on heating and water for a new build stationary houseboat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sera

Hi there

I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to decide on what system to install for heating and hot water on my new build stationary houseboat, of which the inside floor space is 70sqm with a 6m ceilings in the mid section. My London residential mooring is on mains electricity and water. There is no gas and the mooring is too far down the tow path for oil deliveries.

I was originally going to have a wet UFH with an electric boiler powered by an air source heat pump positioned on the mooring staging which is in front of the boat but this is not possible due to the movement of the conduction hoses/pipe work. The mooring is semi tidal and the boat moves up and down throughout the day. The boat is fabricated from steel so situating the heat pump on deck would be prohibitively noisy. I then thought just an electric boiler but this would be hideously expensive.

The boat is essentially a rectangular steel box with a bedroom at either end, a bathroom and an open plan kitchen living room. It is well insulated and although one side is almost all glass it is triple glazed. The boat also has the very effective insulation of water, so it losses very little in the way of heat once it is warm. My current thoughts are to install a remotely operated zoned electric UFH system under the entire floor with highly conductive porcelain tiles, a solid fuel stove and a dual element immersion heater for hot water. I will be predominantly living alone with visitors on the weekend and occasionally during the week. The UFH system throws out about 12+kWs in it’s entirety but I would probably only switch on the open plan living room and one bedroom an hour or so before I got home (depending on the responsiveness), light the stove which is 6+kWs and turn off the UFH off once the space was warm. The stove will be installed against a brick wall which separates my bedroom and will act as a decent sized storage heater.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or thoughts on a better way to do things. Like everyone I’m very keen to minimise my energy costs but I am somewhat locked into using electricity. I have thought about using a multi fuel boiler etc, but I work long hours during the week and my journey home is an hour. I don’t really fancy having to wait for hot water etc. There are also safety issues to consider on a boat. I am south facing and my very top deck has plenty of room for solar panels. This is definitely something I would consider in the future.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards

Sera

A thermal store with solar would probably work well for you
Stove will heat it
Solar
And you then have immersion to help boost it

If you have the room for it that is

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Damsel in distress: Advice on heating and water for a new build stationary houseb

LPG gas is an option but you would have to get the bottles refilled

Re: Damsel in distress: Advice on heating and water for a new build stationary houseb

cant see why the air pump cant be mounted on deck you just need the right anti vibe mountings weve mount huge pumps on concrete filled steel trays that sit on rubber montings

A thermal store with solar would probably work well for you
Stove will heat it
Solar
And you then have immersion to help boost it

If you have the room for it that is

Many thanks Gray. That's a good idea. I could make room.

Regards

Sarah

Hi Steve

Thanks for that. I will ask about anti vibe mountings. You can hear/feel the slightest sound/movement. Even a bird sounds like an elephant! The shell is however unlined and empty at this stage.

Regards

Sarah

Thanks Steve. I want things to be as seamless as possible.

Regards

Sarah

I cant recall what they are called but isnt there a type of ground source heat pump where the loop extracts heat from water I dont know if the pump components would be less noisy than air source. Perhaps the recovery loop could be sunk below the boat then you could draw your heat right out of the water.

I cant recall what they are called but isnt there a type of ground source heat pump where the loop extracts heat from water I dont know if the pump components would be less noisy than air source. Perhaps the recovery loop could be sunk below the boat then you could draw your heat right out of the water.

Many thanks for this. A water sourced heat pump had occured to me and it's something that large European boat dwelling communities are experimenting with. I was in Amsterdam and Copenhagen earlier this year. I've just found a company in the UK that manufacture heat pumps and they have a system that uses a water mat that could actually be attached to the hull of the boat feeding into a heat pump which can be relatively small for the output I need. It could be enclosed in or on the boat. Hopefully it's not going to be too expensive to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damsel in distress: Advice on heating and water for a new build stationary houseboat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hello all and hope everyone is well, New to the forum and would be very grateful for any expert help. I live in a small flat that has underfloor heating zones in living, bedroom and bathroom. Unfortunately, the floor no longer heats up when I activate the bedroom and living room zones...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock