Search the forum,

Discuss Dab or grundfos pumps in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is there much difference between the two makes with looking at a domestic central heating pump. Thanks

Grundfos for me.

We always use them and I can count on one hand the number of issues we have had with them, over a very long period of time.

Can't comment on DAB.
Wilo are OK
Myson OK.

If changing out the circ pump make a note of its make/model and setting before buying new pump and buy one with settings that closest matches your own especially if a open vented system as this seemingly simple change often causes a lot of grief with vent pump over etc, not as important with a sealed system but still no harm to have a look.

There should be some sort of trend now re replacement from installers as these A rated pumps are around for maybe 8 years or so, I installed a 6M Wilo Yonos Pico almost 2 years ago simply out of interest to replace a 18 year old perfectly silent running Salmson NYL33 which I will re install if/when the Wilo packs up.

Grundfos nowhere near as good as used to be. But to be brutally honest, what is these days?
You sound as fed up with the modern world as I do.
There is a drop in quality in most things, no doubt about that.
Since the additional electronics (which reduce the life span, reliability and increase the cost of manufacture, whilst saving relatively rock all in running costs) appeared, most things are unnecessarily over complicated........in my opinion.

You sound as fed up with the modern world as I do.
There is a drop in quality in most things, no doubt about that.
Since the additional electronics (which reduce the life span, reliability and increase the cost of manufacture, whilst saving relatively rock all in running costs) appeared, most things are unnecessarily over complicated....in my opinion.

A little fed up.

But it goes back to the days when your car wouldn't start and you could lift the bonnet, pop the distributor cap, adjust the points, wipe the condensation off the cap, put it back together and away you went.

Now its into the garage and plugged into the laptop. Takes away skills and to some degree job satisfaction.
That's why I like oil boilers and just listening to it or smelling the flue gas can tell you what's wrong.

Is that the hovis theme tune playing in the background!

A little fed up.

But it goes back to the days when your car wouldn't start and you could lift the bonnet, pop the distributor cap, adjust the points, wipe the condensation off the cap, put it back together and away you went.

Now its into the garage and plugged into the laptop. Takes away skills and to some degree job satisfaction.
That's why I like oil boilers and just listening to it or smelling the flue gas can tell you what's wrong.

Yeh its really noticeable with vehicles, used to have a Bedford TK horsebox (and a converted fire engine before that which was sadly stolen) the 300cui diesel engine was a dream to work on, did so much mechanical work on it as it had been left in a field for a decade, but with a service manual and a bit of patience there really wasn't anything that you couldn't fix yourself. Considering it was almost 50years old and hadn't been looked after for a big chunk of its life it was amazingly reliable. Had to sell it recently sadly but know it will live on for decades.

I also hate the move towards just scrapping things rather than fixing them, which goes hand to hand with the built in obsolescence which seems integral to so many business models these days.

A little fed up.

True.
I We just had trouble with a DPF on a Transit. It took forever, cost a lot, I ended up getting involved with it and spending too much of my own time removing a blocked 5th injector. It had 4 x standing regeneration's in a garage at 40 minutes each on 3000 rpm, 2 unnecessary trips to Leeds, One Round Manchester ring road, it still runs poorly and Ford aren't interested. The DPF is clear now so it can continue to collect the soot and dirt caused by diesel combustion and if the 5th injector works, it can burn it all off and throw it out into the environment.
The Mechanics say it has a fault code on the cruise control which to be fair has had a mind of its own since birth and the van tells me it's feeling OK apart from the side door being open, which it isn't.
Bring back the Bedford CF. If it had fuel in, it ran. It didn't talk or have an opinion but it was my friend.
I had an emailed survey from Baxi the other day about boilers collecting and sending diagnostic information to me and the customer. It filled me with dread.

The frustrating thing with the error codes is its now an automatic mot fail no matter how trivial. Would love to go back to the old Bedford era vehicles, as impractical as it was, I really miss my TK.

The idea of boilers sending diagnostic info to us is bad enough but if they send them to customers too it's going to be a nightmare and I think it will also encourage more have a go heroes to 'fix' their own boilers. If they are going to go down this route imo the customers should just receive a "you need to call out a gas safe registered engineer" message.

The frustrating thing with the error codes is its now an automatic mot fail no matter how trivial. Would love to go back to the old Bedford era vehicles, as impractical as it was, I really miss my TK.

The idea of boilers sending diagnostic info to us is bad enough but if they send them to customers too it's going to be a nightmare and I think it will also encourage more have a go heroes to 'fix' their own boilers. If they are going to go down this route imo the customers should just receive a "you need to call out a gas safe registered engineer" message.

More likely customer gets a message "its fooked, new boiler required, £3,500 total or £50 a month. We can do it tomorrow"

Hi all

The diagnostics used on cars is a money making exercise for both the customer and dealer. There is no reason why the diagnostics cannot be built into the vehicle and simply either interogated or the data sent to a so called smart device. Agricultural vehicles have had diagnostics built in that display faults and provide fault finding data displayed on the onboard graphic screens for a long time now, probably because you dont want to upset a farmer whos livelyhood depends on the tractor. It is worth noting that much of this complexity in cars is only used to achieve Euro emision targets and it is done on the cheap, complexity is not an issue if applied with defstan or avionic standards.

There's a fair few installed around me with no problems but are the Evosta 4-7M, there is also a Evosta 2 & Evosta 3 now as well.

Yes Matt they are self bleeding . Regards kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-201820.png
    Screenshot_20200909-201820.png
    247 KB · Views: 10
A little fed up.

I honestly can’t remember the last time my van/car/bike wouldn’t start. Modern vehicles are miles more reliable than older stuff.

Reply to Dab or grundfos pumps in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock