Search the forum,

Discuss D.I.Y Solar Collectors - very danerous in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
Incoming energy (sunlight) can be up to 7kw per m2 - did I get that fact correct ?

Have you got anything to do with that ecosol, who posted that bizarre post last night? You’ve been here a couple of weeks, asking about a diy solar set up and then this ecosol pipes up last night. Seems quite fishy

Mmmmmm

Have you got anything to do with that ecosol, who posted that bizarre post last night? You’ve been here a couple of weeks, asking about a diy solar set up and then this ecosol pipes up last night. Seems quite fishy

Mmmmmm
I like a bit of kipper myself:D:D

Mmmmmm
Dont know who ecosol are - my question about diy solar is genuine because I have some bits left over from my Solar Roof project a few years ago and did not want to spend too much on the solar set up for my wifes new office (shed)south facing down the end of the garden - I get peace and quiet. Api 2006 is a bona fide design company and I am not a schister but your right to ask and indeed ask away Rob Foster

Whatever the figure is, how does it make them very dangerous?
loads of kw energy absorbed into a system which if incorrectly understood, specified,fitted or maintained could explode just like a badly fitted back boiler. People dont realise the potential for a big bang just from the sun

loads of kw energy absorbed into a system which if incorrectly understood, specified,fitted or maintained could explode just like a badly fitted back boiler. People don't realise the potential for a big bang just from the sun
But somebody must have thought of that. A PRV is the obvious answer.

Incoming energy (sunlight) can be up to 7kw per m2 - did I get that fact correct ?
No. I think it's more like 1kW in the UK climate. EDIT: in full sun conditions.

From the course I did at CAT in 2013, if unvented, we need 3 levels of protection: 1. Method of cutting off heat and motorised valve, 2. Expansion vessel, 3i. Pressure dump valve, 3ii. Overheat dump valve on cylinder. There may be other levels of protection required, as the course was not intended to teach you how to DIY, it was just a guide to give an idea if professional installers knew what they were doing, or not.

Last edited:
No. I think it's more like 1kW in the UK climate. EDIT: in full sun conditions.

From the course I did at CAT in 2013, if unvented, we need 3 levels of protection: 1. Method of cutting off heat and motorised valve, 2. Expansion vessel, 3i. Pressure dump valve, 3ii. Overheat dump valve on cylinder. There may be other levels of protection required, as the course was not intended to teach you how to DIY, it was just a guide to give an idea if professional installers knew what they were doing, or not.
I used to lecture at CAT back in 1999 ish - never for money then but always got a veggie lunch never any diesel for my transit

What subject did you lecture on? When I volunteered there, we could claim some limited transport expenses. This was soon after the bankruptcy of CAT plc and the 'great purge'. PM me if you feel this is off-topic: always pleased to meet ex-CAT people.

Lectured about 2000 in Rain & water recycling - did articles in various magazines - Leicester Uni. Went to Machynlyth many times

Lectured about 2000 in Rain & water recycling - did articles in various magazines - Leicester Uni. Went to Machynlyth many times
hI i,m very interested in solar power id like to know if i buy books educating me on this subject and not getting a recognized certified something or other,,or better pay good earned money for a certificate,I lived in Africa for over 30 years and i am very interested of course for all things solar.

hI i,m very interested in solar power id like to know if i buy books educating me on this subject and not getting a recognized certified something or other,,or better pay good earned money for a certificate,I lived in Africa for over 30 years and i am very interested of course for all things solar.
i installed many solar systems on contract to Solar Power Botswana supplying hot water to schools and households,it was early day then in solar in Bots,,im talking 90,s

i installed many solar systems on contract to Solar Power Botswana supplying hot water to schools and households,it was early day then in solar in Bots,,im talking 90,s
On the subject of water recycling in Bots again i fitted many sub terrain tanks to collect grey water and use for garden and washing of cars ect i also had many ideas of collecting water from large shopping malls ,,water from air cons ,,massive waste.not being a technical science enlightened man i think there is so many ways simply to save water in all places ,,just needs thought,

As a man thats been in the trade of water transference for many years,i undrstand that ever drop counts,,especially when it a stubborn leak,lol.

On the subject of water recycling in Bots again i fitted many sub terrain tanks to collect grey water and use for garden and washing of cars ect i also had many ideas of collecting water from large shopping malls ,,water from air cons ,,massive waste.not being a technical science enlightened man i think there is so many ways simply to save water in all places ,,just needs thought,
I have done loads of domestic systems and some large commercial ones in early 2000s
I did a frozen pizza warehouse, a laundry/nursing home and my favourite was Meanwhile gardens at Ladbroke Grove using a skate board park as a collection ‘roof’ for rainwater that goes thro the toilets tec, many others too numerous to mention

You've remembered the number but not the units. It's up to 7 kW hr / m^2 day, i.e. 300 W / m^2. That's an annual average. On a clear day with the sun directly overhead (noon mid summer) it'll be about 1000 W / m^2.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the topic:
Sunlight - Wikipedia

Reply to D.I.Y Solar Collectors - very danerous in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock